Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

Am 52 year old female, heavy smoker, take 30 mg lisinopril

Am 52 year old female, heavy smoker, take 30 mg lisinopril upon waking for hypertension. Today & yesterday devolped severe dizziness within 1/2 hour of taking medication. This symptom gets better as the day passes. Could it be the dosage is too high?

I prefer to avoid the ER because I also have Glycogen Storage Disease Type IX and really don't feel like being the experimental Guina Pig. I can see my primary on Monday. Thanks.

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

welcome!

Dr. Cameron :

are you still there?

Dr. Cameron :

please type and hit repy

Dr. Cameron :

I understand your concern

Dr. Cameron :

lisinopril is usually started out at 10-20 mg and then titrated up to 40mg

Dr. Cameron :

but if you are having symptoms 30 minutes after the medication, it is possible that it is too high for you

Dr. Cameron :

as long as you are not having chest pain, shortness of breath or lightheadedness at other times, I think that you can wait to see your doctor on monday

Dr. Cameron :

but if you do have other concerning symptoms, then you do need to go to the ER :-)

Hi Elizabeth
It appears that our chat did not close properly
Did you have any other questions about this or did I provide you with excellent service? :-)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, had to answer a call. Was on a lower dosage but level was raised last December because of high stress situation. No shortness of breath,etc. will check blood pressure at drug store later. And follow up with primary Monday. Didn't want to bother GSD doc. And if I call the BC/BS nurse - they'll just say go to the ER because of liability issues. Thanks, Elizabeth
I understand.
I am an ER doctor.
I don't think that you need to go in unless you have concerning symptoms.
Take the lower dose again and contact your doctor on Monday :-)

I hope that this helped.

Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)