Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

I am being treated for pain management due to chronic pain

I am being treated for pain management due to chronic pain in my knees. This pain started in 2007. In 2009, I had an MRI on my knee. Just the other day (Wednesday), I had another MRI on the same knee (right) to have it updated. I received the report today and started doing some research which concerned me. I am just seeking to have an interpretation of what this could possibly mean (mostly #3 under 'impression'). Below are the results:

FINDINGS: The quadriceps and patellar tendons are maintained. A small joint effusion is present. The anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments as well as medial and lateral collateral ligaments appear maintained. There is preservation of the anterior and posterior horns of the medial meniscus. A small focal signal intensity in the lateral femoral condyle at 4.4 mm diameter may reflect an area of bony sclerosis. The osseous marrow signal is otherwise maintained. The periarticular soft tissues are not remarkable.

1. Small amount of joint fluid present.
2. Unremarkable appearance to the meniscal and ligamentous structures.
3. Small area of low signal intensity on the lateral femoral condyle which may reflect a focal area of bony sclerosis, perhaps a bone island. Clinic correlation recommended.

Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Cameron :

Dr. Cameron :

It looks like your knee scan is really pretty good

Dr. Cameron :

YOu have a small amount of fluid which is normal

Dr. Cameron :

your ligaments and meniscus are fine

Dr. Cameron :

Bone sclerosis, also called osteosclerosis, is a condition in which the bone density is increased. It may be described as an abnormal hardening of the bone tissue and can caused by injuries that force the bone to be compressed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My concern is the bony sclerosis / bone island comment as the information I have found seems very serious.
A bone island is a benign growth of bone or cartilage in a bone
If one is seen on XRAY, they take a good look at it and make sure that it is not cancerous by doing a MRI- you had this study.

Bony sclerosis and bony islands are benign.

I hope that this helped!

Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)