Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

Hi , just a question about taking medication abroad on holiday,

Hi , just a question about taking medication abroad on holiday, I spoke with the airline we are travelling with (XXXXX XXXXX Airlines) my wife takes Warfarin and Bisoprolol also Citalopram and the airline says that a Doctor's letter is required for any medication taken with prescribed doses.
I also spoke with our local surgery (Hungerford Medical Centre, Crewe, Cheshire), they spoken with one of the nurses and that all airlines allow medication without a letter, and that they do not issue letters for patients regarding this matter, is there any other option, my wife has got a doctor's appointment on Monday, I hope you can help.
Mr T Harrison.

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

where are you going

Customer:

fine thank you

Dr. Cameron :

where are you going

Customer:

corfu greece

Dr. Cameron :

This is not a requirement for the airlines, but the country you are traveling too

Dr. Cameron :

And for Greece, you do not need a letter unless it is for a restricted medication

Dr. Cameron :

here is the exerpt from their customs site:

Dr. Cameron : Bringing medication into Greece

If you intend bringing small amounts of medication for personal use into Greece you may be required to provide documentation for customs clearance on entry which may include:

A statutory Declaration from the patient, stating that the drugs are intended for personal use and that you are responsible for anything that may occur as a result of using the drugs.
A doctor's prescription for the medication as well as a letter from the doctor stating the reason you are required to take the medication. Note that codeine is considered a narcotic in Greece and should be covered by a doctor's prescription.
In situations where there is no doctor's prescription, which is likely if it is a long standing illness or for non-prescription medication, you need to provide a statutory declaration only.

Note that the amount of medication being brought into the country must not exceed 2 bottles/boxes of each medication and up to five different types of medication.

Customer:

would a repeat prescription be useful for this?

Dr. Cameron :

if you want, but you really don't need it

Dr. Cameron :

have a wonderful trip!

Dr. Cameron :

:-)

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service ? :-)?

Customer:

thank you for your help, you have very helpful as my wife was a bit concerned, also I was too, and thank you we are looking forward to our holiday.