Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hi Mysticdoc, we spoke a few weeks ago regarding HPV and I

Hi Mysticdoc, we spoke a few weeks ago regarding HPV and I have a follow up--if we could talk that would be great!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Please go ahead.

Customer:

I am a 25 year old, previously had genital warts (once in 2009, possibly again in 2011) all other STD's not a possibility as I have been tested. Also suffer from OCD so I tend to worry. I do not want to pass HPV onto my girlfriend who is negative, also she had been vaccinated with Gardasil. Last night I found a red spot on my shaft, when I stretched the skin out I could see a small red dot. This morning I woke up and it is not as red, much lighter but it is still noticeable. I am concerned this could be the start of a wart--could you take a look at a few pictures and opine?

Mysticdoc :

sure you can post the pictures here.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Mysticdoc :

They do not look like wart right now.

Customer:

the spot im talking about is toward the bottom of the shaft, if you need any further pictures for clarity i could provide

Mysticdoc :

looks more like bumps --cyst like

Customer:

okay, I had something similar a few weeks ago....is it possible they could be the start of a wart?

Mysticdoc :

very unlikely.

Mysticdoc :

wart will not appear like that

Mysticdoc :

should be more skin like thin

Customer:

is it anything that could possibly be contagious? Again, my main concern is to protect my partner...

Mysticdoc :

I do not think so.

Customer:

and, as I said before, overnight the redness has begun to subside so I feel that is encouraging...can warts be a reddish type of color/lesion? I have tried to do some research but it yields mixed answers

Mysticdoc :

not really unless it is inflamed or bleeding.

Mysticdoc :

That is not the case here

Customer:

okay, so they wouldn't appear as painless/itch-less red lesions?

Mysticdoc :

no

Customer:

okay--also, I had only one instance where my symptoms matched a genital wart, in 2009--had another spot in 2011 that was red and didnt go away for sometime, I used aldara on the 2011 spot and it seemed to help, could that be a coincidence or would aldara possibly help a lesion that is not a wart?

Customer:

it was a red spot that stuck around for several months

Mysticdoc :

Aldara can help non wart lesions as well.

Mysticdoc :

hard to say without specific testing of the lesion.

Customer:

okay--thanks for all the help, just one more question--is it possible that (a) i could have cleared the virus completely after 2009 and no longer have HPV or (b) that I could have had a wart only one time and they won't ever come back?

Mysticdoc :

Yes it is possible to clear the virus completely.

Mysticdoc :

and wart may not come back in some cases.

Customer:

you can clear it completely even after having a wart?

Mysticdoc :

however, it is very unlikely for warts not to recur if diagnosedcorrectly.

Mysticdoc :

yes you can

Customer:

so, it is unlikely that the warts won't recur if I was in fact diagnosed correctly in 2009?

Customer:

double negative, meaning its probable that they would?

Mysticdoc :

correct

Customer:

even after 4 years with no symptoms?

Mysticdoc :

yes --it is unlikely for wart to be so small and then not recur

Mysticdoc :

now, it is also possible for wart not to recur even it was present.

Customer:

well the wart in 2009 was much more characteristic of an HPV wart, didn't look anything like the pictures I've just sent you, and I found out later my girlfriend at the time had HPV so I always just assumed it was that--botXXXXX XXXXXne, is it likely that I could have either cleared the virus or that I won't ever have another wart appear again?

Mysticdoc :

Ok

Mysticdoc :

it is quite possible to clear the virus from your body by this time.

Mysticdoc :

But it is hard to say definitively.

Mysticdoc :

Non standard tests like HPV testing of the penile and anal swab can be tried for some reassurance in case negative.

Customer:

alright--those were more long term questions I guess--short term, the pictures I sent today are not warts, correct?

Mysticdoc :

correct

Mysticdoc :

not warts

Customer:

okay--thanks so much for the help. I know my questions can probably be a pain, but your help is very much appreciated

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Mysticdoc :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

https://pearl.etherapi.com/connectme/152

Customer:

sorry--one last question---should I be on the lookout for this spot to somehow change into something of consequence? AKA could it be the START of a wart? Or is it nothing to worry about at all?

Mysticdoc :

I do not think this is wart.

Mysticdoc :

But you can observe for next few days.

Customer:

okay--and the likelihood of transmission to my girlfriend would be very low since she has been vaccinated, correct?

Mysticdoc :

correct

Customer:

great, thanks so much! excellent rating coming!

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD