Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

My 61 yr old husband is long term alcoholic with declining

My 61 yr old husband is long term alcoholic with declining health. He has many symptoms of cirrhosis (six yearslus) and now i think his kidneys could be failing too. He refuses to go to doctor. He has:
Gout,edema(swollen feet legs and hands) ascites(huge hard belly),severe joint pain,petechiae, fatigue,nosebleeds,itching,impotence,jaundice,trouble walking,short of breath,dupytrens contracture, and so on. His last blood work was so bad he wouldnt show me. Just mentioned high potassium level. That was a year ago. He still works but is really tired all the time.
He continues to drink and i think something really bad is going to happen soon.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, double board certified doctor, and I will help you with this and any follow up questions.

You are correct, I am sorry to say.
These are very serious signs and symptoms.
Statistically speaking, if he keeps drinking and does not get serious help, he is not likely to last the year, certainly not 5 years.

So, I would suggest you get some Since you can not fix him.
Talk to his doctor. Talk to a psychologist trained in alcoholism.
This will improve your ability to communicate with your husband, and perhaps help you get a family intervention together with him.

Right now, as you describe it, he is in the end stages of the disease.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.