Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

my ana ifa scr w/ refl titer ana screen, ifa came bck positive and

my ana ifa scr w/ refl titer ana screen, ifa came bck positive
and my ana titer and pattern anti-nuclear ab titer anaa pattern was 1:80 H nucleolar
does this mean i have systemic lpus?

also on same blood draw on my cbc my rdw was 15.3
i am 46 year old female who has been feeling awful for the last month, has been on steriods, very tight in the chest at times, labored breathing intermittantly, quite tired.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 12 months ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Customer:

Hi I am hoping to learn about a possible diagnosis based upon blood work results I mentioned.

Mysticdoc :

Antinucleolar pattern can be seen in mixed connective tissue disorder, or systemic sclerosis.

Mysticdoc :

However, your ANA titer is not that high.

Mysticdoc :

But you are also on prednisone.

Mysticdoc :

Prednisone can reduce the ana titer falsely.

Mysticdoc :

What symptoms do you have?

Customer:

I was on prednisone but am not for the last week (although durng the blood work I was on)

Mysticdoc :

ok that still affects the result.

Customer:

In March I had some "lung infection" that landed me in the hospital. I was told I have developed asthma. I was on steroids then and got better slowly. Then I was feeling much like my old self and on July 31 I was commuting home like any other day on the train when I suddenly felt like I couldnt breathe. This was the beginning of this chapter. For the last month I have been dealing with shortness of breath, tightening in my chest and rib cage and overall feeling like air is hard to find sometimes, especially when it is humid and hot out. Prednisone didnt really help me to the level that was expected and my pulm,onologist eventually ran these bloods on me and these were some of the results.

Customer:

I will say I did my own research and I do get a slight red rash on my cheeks for the last yar or so in the summer or when I am out of a hot shower. I have thought it to be mild rosacea. They are on both cheeks in a crescent moon shape.

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

so you have rash and also probably lung disease.

Mysticdoc :

This can be lupus.

Mysticdoc :

However, more symptoms are needed like joint pains, kidney involvement, anemia etc

Customer:

I do have knee pain and neck pain which I thought was due to being out of shape and sleeping in a weird position (neck, pillow etc).

Customer:

Not constant pain at all but occasionally. And a few months ago I was having some stiffness that seemed odd. Steppiing into my pants all of a sudden was difficult and then it went away.

Customer:

I am not very overweight or very out of shape but not in perfect health either

Customer:

MEaning -- before steroids -- I was appx 145 lbs at 5 ft 6 in

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

see these symptoms are concerning.

Mysticdoc :

And you do meet the criteria for lupus diagnosis in that case.

Mysticdoc :

rash, arthritis, lung problem

Mysticdoc :

and the positive ana

Customer:

What should my next steps be?

Mysticdoc :

you need to see a rheumatologist.

Customer:

ok any other advice or comments?

Customer:

can it be diagnosed accurately easily?

Mysticdoc :

also a Ct scan of the chest and a kidney biopsy should be considered.

Mysticdoc :

yes it can be

Customer:

i have a cat scan of my chest scheduled for next week, is this a ct scan?

Mysticdoc :

yes

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what is involved in a kdney biopsy

Mysticdoc :

they take a tissue sample by a needle from the kidney

Customer:

anything else i should be doing or know right now?

Mysticdoc :

No that is all for now.

Customer:

Ok thanks

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Mysticdoc :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

https://pearl.etherapi.com/connectme/152

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD