Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

My PSA count is now 12.8. I am 68 years old and in good health

My PSA count is now 12.8. I am 68 years old and in good health with no discomfort. Should I have a biopsy done or can the ultrasound cancer screening be an option?

At PSA 12.8, its now necessary to get a biopsy.

The Ultrasound screening would not be enough.

Prostate cancer can be treated very successfully, but it is important to detect this at the earliest.

Hence go for the biopsy - that way you will be sure either way. The ultrasound screening is not definitive, and will leave you with doubt.

Discuss this with your doctors.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.