Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

i have a lump ( lymph node ) on my left jawline. Ive had it

Customer Question

i have a lump ( lymph node ) on my left jawline. Ive had it for almost 3 months. When i first found it, it was the size of a grape and since then it has shrunk. But ive been constantly poking and touching it i think its swelled up. and causes mild pain. Id say its smaller maybe the size of a dime, maybe smaller. I went to the doc awhile back she gave me some antis and said if its not gone in 2 weeks to call her. Well i haven't and i worry its cancer. its mobile, rubbery and moves around. when i first found this node i had a sinus infection before it for a while but it was mild.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 10 months ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Customer:

Hello sir

Customer:

Please help me

Anthony Bray, MD : The lymph nose that you have described fits with a reactive lymph node that was probably associated with your respiratory ( sinus) infection.
Customer:

is it normal for it to get a bit larger when i touch it constantly

Anthony Bray, MD : Lymph nodes of course are numerous under the jaw and in the neck....
Customer:

this node is on my jaw though

Anthony Bray, MD : the most reassuring aspect of it is that you state it has decreased in size from its maximum( grape size)
Customer:

Yes it shrunk rapidly in size and has stayed that size since

Anthony Bray, MD : this decrease would not fit with a lymph node enlarged due to malignancy such as lymphoma which is your fear...
Customer:

What should you suggest i do? leave it be?

Customer:

I have a tendancy to touch it and move it around alot

Anthony Bray, MD : As long as you pick at it and feel it several tunes a day it will not return back to complete normal size.... You need to leave it alone!!!
Customer:

Ok i wont touch it anymore, i just worry and touch it to see if its gotten bigger

Customer:

I also had a CBC done and it came back perfect, if that helps at all

Anthony Bray, MD : it should gradually decrease in size ( provided no new nearby infection) over the next 4 to 6 weeks... It is not likely to go away any faster than that!! As long as it is not fixed ( it moves under the skin) it is not rock hard, and it is not enlarging plus at the size of a dime >>> then you should relax!!!
Customer:

So i shouldnt touch it for atleast 6 weeks. What if its the same size in 6 weeks.. Leave it be?

Anthony Bray, MD : it is a very common worry or scare with these type lymph nodes but I advise that you take adept breath. It is very unlikely that this lymph node represents any cancer or anything serious in your case.
Customer:

Ok thank you Doc, I seriously appreciate your time. Any other advice?

Anthony Bray, MD : your history fits well with a typical reactive lymph node that may have some prolonged swelling and tenderness due to your manipulating it....
Customer:

Yes i have touched it so much. Honestly about twice every hour i check it

Anthony Bray, MD : resolve to not touch it except once a week.... I think you will find this node drifting out of your worries as you break the habit of obsessing over it and manipulating it--- this will perpetuate the problem!! So try to give it time and space!!
Customer:

Ok thank you Sir! is very mild pain common from touching it and rolling it so much

Anthony Bray, MD : Right, I understand--- it has gotten you worried and you obsess and worry and check and recheck it.... Try to stop this constant checking!!! The pressing over a lymph node will stimulate the release of chemicals that call in " recruits" of more white cells and it makes the lymph node stay more enlarged than it otherwise would be.... When you break this cycle it will settle down but still very gradually!!
Anthony Bray, MD : Yes mild pain and tenderness would be common . It will feel better when you can leave it alone!!
Customer:

Ok thank you doctor. Seriously im sure you put up with annoying people as me, thank you for your time, youve made me feel better. As for now i wont touch the dam thing anymore!

Anthony Bray, MD : So break free from this cycle--- quit messing with the node--- quit worrying and be patient!!! You will be fine!
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that this information helps!
Customer:

Thank you Doctor, you've helped me alot. have a great night

Anthony Bray, MD : Let me know if you have further questions!
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hey doc, its been about 4 weeks since i last spoke with you, and the lymph node has gotten a tad bit smaller, hasnt grown at all! thats good right?

Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 9 months ago.
Hello!

Yes if it has gotten smaller then that is reassuring ! Keep in mind that some lymph nodes may be large enough and close enough to skin to feel all your life so it does not have to completely disappear necessarily for it to be normal.

I find it most reassuring that it has decreased in size. This rules out dangerous pathology such as lymphoma-- it would not improve if this were the case...

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further concerns! Take care!!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Since ive had it for so long, it hasnt gotten bigger. But slowly, ( very slowly) decreased in size, ( still mobie, rubbery texture) . Would it be safe for me to completely stop monitoring it. Unless of course it becomes huge to where its visible.

Hello again,

Yes it is safe for you to drop this from your list of things to worry about! You have no particular need to monitor it further ! Best that you don't I suspect!!

Of course if it should flare up for some reason( say a dental infection might cause that) then you may always restart to gently monitor. That would be sensible if this should occur for example.

I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have anything further . Take care!!

Anthony Bray MD