Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Five years ago I broke my right wrist and it was surgically

Five years ago I broke my right wrist and it was surgically repaired with a plate and screws. No problems until the past few weeks when I get a sensation almost like an electrical surge or impulse that starts above my right elbow and travels down my arm into my hand. It makes me want to flex my fingers. No pain, but yet a feeling of slight discomfort. Could it be connected to the hardware in my wrist?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Do you feel any numbness or tingling in wrist or hand or at elbow?
Any neck or shoulder pain?

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. No numbness or tingling, nor do I have any neck or shoulder pain. I do have a very slight muscle soreness above my right elbow close to my tricep. The sensation I am trying to describe feels almost like a surge of something - it feels as if it travels down my right arm, from right above my elbow down into my fingers and lasts only a few seconds. Goes away and then happens again, sometimes within several minutes, sometimes I don't feel it for several hours and then it will surge again.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Martha thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. The symptoms you have described actually means nerve compression. Hardware can do so by pressing the nearby nerve but in your specific case, in my opinion, the feeling you have is not due to that hardware. I am saying so because in case of nerve compression by that hardware in your wrist, the sensation of electric surge should be felt in area after the wrist i.e hand and fingers. The feeling of surge in elbow which goes down up to fingers mean that some nerve is being compressed either at the elbow joint or can be in shoulder or neck. However as per symptoms sounds more like a nerve compression at elbow.I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab aleve twice daily can help by relieving the compression. If symptoms persist then best doctor to see is an orthopedic surgeon who can get xrays and/or nerve compression study. If some compression is found, he can send you for physical therapy or can give you local injection of steroid at the site of compression or if required can deal with it surgically (very rare). But don't worry, it's not serious and can be managed. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can nerves be compressed as a result of sleep posture? Also, I do feel the surge in my hand and fingers, although it seems to start above my elbow and travel down to my hand and fingers.

I started riding a road bike this summer to train for a triathlon. I noticed that my fingers in my right hand would go numb after being on the bike for 45 minutes or more. Most people I know who ride these bikes complain of the same thing - it seems to have something to do with the pressure of the arms and hands on the handle bars. I think my surges began after I started this training. Does this seem plausible? That I compressed a nerve as a result of this bike posture?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Yes nerve can get compressed due to sleep posture but the pattern you have described can be because of that bike ride posture because in that the pressure comes on the nerve passing through elbow. This is my opinion based on history and for definite diagnosis tests are required. So hardware or sleep posture is not your likely cause but bile posture can be. Anti inflammatory tablet like aleve still remains the first choice followed by physical therapy, steroid injection etc. I hope this help you, I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery