Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Dull constant pain under right rib cage. loose stool and stomach

Customer Question

Dull constant pain under right rib cage. loose stool and stomach growls constantly. very tired always. ???? Don't know whats going on, but hard to keep going like this
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you have this pain?

Dr. Hasan :

Does that pain radiates to the back?

Dr. Hasan :

Any blood or mucus in stool?

Dr. Hasan :

Any excessive foul smell?

Customer:

had pain for about 2 years. it radiated to the back about 9 months ago. some bright red blood in stool. I think because I go so much.Stool has excessive oder.

Dr. Hasan :

Do you feel that your stool has changed its colour also?

Dr. Hasan :

Do you feel any pain at your shoulder tip (right)?

Dr. Hasan :

Which tests have been done so far?

Customer:

yes one time dark, then lighter, then tan... no consistancy

Dr. Hasan :

ok

Customer:

also never firm... always like ribbons

Dr. Hasan :

Which tests have been done so far?

Dr. Hasan :

Have you seen any specialist?

Customer:

blood tests ... full panel.. showed sugar borderline, low testosterone, high cholestrol (taking meds), low vitamin D no specialist

Dr. Hasan :

Any ultrasound?

Dr. Hasan :

I guess HIDA scan has been done?

Customer:

what is hida ? had an ultrasound 3 years ago and an MRI about year and a half ago.

Dr. Hasan :

HIDA scan is done to see the functionality of gall bladder.

Dr. Hasan :

How your doctor said that your gall bladder is 20%? What do you mean by that?

Customer:

I had a test with radio active dye and it measures the out put of your gall bladder when it is working

Customer:

I guess thats a HIDA

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it is HIDA scan.

Dr. Hasan :

Have you got any stool tests done so far?

Customer:

no

Dr. Hasan :

Do you feel more pain after eating fatty meal?

Dr. Hasan :

ok

Customer:

not really more pain, but it usually feels like I have to have a bowel movement. sometimes I go 3 or4 times in the morning in 2 hours. Coffe seems to trigger that

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Dr. Hasan :

As per symptoms this sounds like intestinal infection due to some symptoms. These includes the bad odour specially because bacterial over growths can do this very frequently.

Dr. Hasan :

Gall bladder can some input here regarding the pain on right side because your HIDA scan was a bit abnormal.

Dr. Hasan :

I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations one can take any OTC probiotic. These are the substances which promote growth of good bacteria in our intestines.

Dr. Hasan :

Yogurt is very good probiotic too.

Dr. Hasan :

As far what your doctor can do is concerned, you need to see a gastroenterologist for sure.

Dr. Hasan :

You may need stool R/E, Stool for ova, cysts and parasites and stool culture.

Dr. Hasan :

Any further testing can be advised like colonoscopy or CT scan but you should see gastroenterologist first.

Dr. Hasan :

But you should try my suggestions and hopefully they will help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question?

Customer:

I tried activia for three weeks...did not seem to help. any other medicines you suggest? I had a colonoscopy 5 1/2 years ago. 3 polyps the rest OK. Do you think I should go ahead with sinus surgery feeling like this?? Need just opinion

Dr. Hasan :

Why you are going for the sinus surgery? What is the diagnosis?

Customer:

I have chronic siniutis. deviated setium and polyps. Need anti biotics usually once or twice a year and it is only temporay fix

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you can proceed for the sinus surgery in 3 weeks.

Dr. Hasan :

Can you see a gastro doc in this time?

Customer:

I will try to get in to one. I have a pre surgery physical with regular doctor next week. Doesn't mean much though, he doesn't do anything!

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you should take one opinion from gastro doc but so far you can proceed with sinus surgery as there is no harm or contraindication so far in your case for a sinus surgery.

Dr. Hasan :

you can ask your primary doctor to get your stool tests in the meantime.

Customer:

yes... one more question... light headiness and tiredness all part of this??? are you thinking gall bladder

Dr. Hasan :

I am thinking infection for stool symptoms and gall bladder for dull pain. But if there is one cause then gall bladder is less likely.

Customer:

Ok thank you sir

Dr. Hasan :

light headedness and tiredness can be due to many factors like low hemoglobin or low blood pressure. It needs to be figured out.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

All the best for sinus surgery and please take a very good care of yourself. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

great ... you have been more helpful than my regular doctor!! Maybe time to switch

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello doctor. I had the stool tests done and all were negative. Prior to those he gave me a mild (500mg) antibiotic and a pill to come my stomach down (slow it down). I have an appointment to see him for further discussion in a week. I am seriously thinking of canceling my sinuis surgery until I get a handle on this. What do you think now that I have negative results that it could be?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Chuck thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear that your problem is still persistent. Yes there is no harm in canceling your sinus surgery. I advised you that you can proceed with surgery because your stomach problem is not a contraindication for sinus surgery but if you are not comfortable and want to get rid of this stomach problem first then definitely you can postpone it because there is no serious problem with your sinus surgery needing immediate intervention. If everything so far has come back normal then this can be your gall bladder or if not then can be irritable bowel syndrome. Please feel free to ask anything anytime. Regards