Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

MRI results of shoulder (3x operated for labrum tear, frozen

MRI results of shoulder (3x operated for labrum tear, frozen shoulder, bicep tenodesis) shows :
Unchanged nondisplaced tear of the diminutive anterior and anterior superior labrum. There is nonacute moderate grade articular sided partial tear and retraction of tendon slips of the anterior margin of the supraspinatus tendon.

Please explain what this means?? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

the labrum is the glenoid ligament and is a fibrocartilage rim attached around the margin of the glenoid cavity in the shoulder blade

unchanged means your radiologist compared this MRI scan to your prior MRI scan and the tear is the same.

nondisplaced tears means its ripped but still in the anatomically correct position

diminutive means small

nonacute means there is an old partial tear of teh supraspinatus tendon

retraction means pulled away of the tendon

the supraspinatus tendon passes beneath the cover of the acromion

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. My question is what does this finding mean as far as treatment? Is this saying my shoulder is unchanged from last surgery or is there additional injury that may require treatment ie surgical intervention?
from the wording, it seems that these injuries are all stable and old injuries and there are no new injuries.

it seems to say that the shoulder is unchanged.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.