Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi. I just started taking zpack 5 day antibiotic yesterday.

Hi. I just started taking zpack 5 day antibiotic yesterday. I have taken two doses. The first day 2 250mg and today 1 250mg. I noticed today that my stool was a yellow color. Especially upon wiping it was bright yellow. Is this normal with antibiotics?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Although most people can take the azithromycin without having this side effect, it is one of the more common potential side effect. As with many other antibiotics, the azithromycin can kill the good germs in the gut, and this can be manifested as diarrhea, loose stool, or a change in color of the stool to yellow or green.

The yellow or green color is actually the original color of bile, but in normal situations, the bile is digested to give the stool its characteristic brown color. Any condition that accelerates the transit of material through the gut can cause the stool to become yellow or green in color.

This symptom will usually resolve after completion of the course of antibiotics, but it also may help to take a probiotic to support the good germs in the gut. This can be done by eating yogurt with an active culture or by taking a dedicated probiotic supplement.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. I have started activia yogurt. my normal stool color is green to yellow. I have always had a rapid digestive track:-). So the bright yellow is ok? I was kinda worried

Yes, the bright yellow is OK. The Activia is one of the brands of yogurt that may help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. thank you. I had one more question. I was given zpack 250 mg 5 day course for possible strep. is this a strong enough dosage for me? Im 38 year old male 220lbs. I am allergic to penecillan. I have taken the first day of double dose and today took single dose. Also, how long til I will start to feel substantially better? Thank you

Yes, this is the standard dose for a Strep throat. It is important to note that although taking the azithromycin for 5 days, it is actually in your system for 10 days (carried in the white cells at the site of infection), so is similar to a 10 day course of other antibiotics for Strep, such as penicillin.

Most people feel significantly better within a few days after starting an antibiotic for Strep, but may take a week to be completely well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. so one day is to early to be expecting anything? even with zpack?

Yes, it is too early to be concerned about a failure of response. The Zpack does not work any faster than any other antibiotic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

great. thank you for the advice. sincerely XXXXX XXXXX time.

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am compensated for my time in assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.