Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have what looks like chickenpox on my waist line. ive had

I have what looks like chickenpox on my waist line. i've had chickenpox when i was younger (around 5 or 6) the strange part is it started on my elbow...i think at least what was there looked the same. i originally thought it was mosquito bits, i work in the arctic and the skeeters are huge and numerous in the summer. it has since spread to my waise, butt, waist line and inner thighs. any suggestions.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Since how long do you have these bumps?

Is there any discharge?

Itching?

Fever?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i would say when i noticed the first bumps was around 4 to 5 weeks ago

will discharge clear liquid if i really squeeze them

itches like crazy

no fever

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

bumps on upper front of right thigh

Thank you very much for the useful information Adam. I have seen the picture closely.

Well if you had chicken pox in the past, you are EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to have it again (as the recurrence of chicken pox is extremely rare).

Moreover, chicken pox does not persist for such a long duration (4/5 weeks) rather the lesions start to heal up and slough off after 2 weeks.

I would consider other causes for these bumps as well such as;

Bacterial infection (staph infection is a common cause for such kind of bumps in the area you described)

Shingles (as they can involve more than one dermatome ---- a person who had chicken pox in the past can have shingles); one thing against shingles in your case is that these bumps are not causing significant pain (shingles give very severe pain) and the lesions are short lived.

Acne is another differential here. Yes you can have acne lesions in this area.

And finally, this can be an allergic reaction to particular kind of garments, soap or other irritants.

Right now you should take tablet claritin (available over the counter) for control of itching.

Can also apply Calamine lotion over the affected area for soothing effect.

Can use topical neosporin ointment and see how you respond to it.

If this persist, does not improve, or get worse, you would require a consultation with a dermatologist for a comprehensive clinical examination; and probably a round of oral antibiotics as well (if this turns out to be staph infection).

Keep the affected area dry and clean.

Use pure cotton under garments.

Use hypoallergic baby soap and avoid scented toilet papers.

Goodluck and get well soon :)

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i do have a follow up concern.

i don't know if it is helpful but the firs 'rash' i ever had was in january if this year. it was a large red spot on the back of my calf that a surgeon told me was ring worm (the reason i saw him was i partially amputated a finger at work) a small spot appeared on my stomach as well. after a few months it went away although you can still see the spot on my leg.

my largest concern is these spots have recently appeared on the head of my penis. they are not bumps but just red spots.

is there any chance this is a STD or contageous in any other way?

Very very unlikely to be STD; but we can not absolutely rule it out unless you have an STD sceen.

Better to see the derma doctor soon.

Stay relaxed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thank you!