Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.

I had a friend who is on the antidepressant Celexa, I believe

I had a friend who is on the antidepressant Celexa, I believe it is, who just got drunk. Is that safe? Should I warn her?

neuromd2012 :

Welcome, as an Internist I will try to answer your Medical Question, for informational purposes only, please see your doctor as needed.

neuromd2012 :

HI. Citalopram (Celexa) is not like a benzodiazepine (Valium, Xanax, Ativan, etc) where you will get a combined effect with alcohol and get wiped out.

neuromd2012 :

you can drink on Citalopram, the only real problem is that alcohol can worsen depression and anxiety, so you are defeating the purpose of the medication, and for that reason it is not suggested that you drink on Celexa

neuromd2012 :

Both alcohol and celexa are metabolized by the liver, so if you drink chronically, you will also increase the metabolism of Celexa, and may need to increase the dose,

Okay, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX her know when she's sober.

neuromd2012 :