Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have a severely painful lower back was first told it was

I have a severely painful lower back was first told it was sciatica then muscle spasm now it's a worn disc. I have been taking panadeine forte with not much relief now I have been told to take brufen. I am still breastfeeding. Question is is brufen safe and how do I find out what is really wrong as this is affecting me picking up my toddler and the pain is ridiculous.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

What kind of tests did you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Scale of 1-10 it's about 8 it's painful to sit or walk and the pain has come around to my hips. Of the 3 doctors I have seen no tests have been done just told to take pain relief anti inflamitories hot water bottle lay on my back with knees drawn to chest and if not better in a week to have a CT scan. I have already had it for a week now.

Thank you very much for the useful information Amanda.

This can be a spasm (which can last few weeks to months) if not treated appropriately.

The muscle spasms are best treated by means of rest, heating pads application (natural muscle relaxant) and muscle relaxant medications (such as tizanidine or orphenadrine). I can see that you have not been prescribed and muscle relaxing medication nor does you are applying heating pads. Try this---mostly these work.

If they do not, then you would need investigations in the form of MRI of the spine which will give all the essential answers regarding the etiology for this pain you have; like a disc prolapse, or a pinched nerve in the spine.

Yes you can take BRUFEN during breast feeding. This drug is passed into breast milk, but in such small quantities that it is unlikely to harm the baby; especially when not used for longer periods like months or years.

So if you doctor has adviced you to take brufen, there is no harm in taking this and see how you respond to it.

Goodluck and get well soon :)

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been using a hot water bottle sorry forgot to mention this. What are the muscle relaxants you mentioned as I am unsure what they are called.

There are many muscle relaxants available including;

Tizanidine

Cyclobenzaprine

Orphenadrine

Eperisone

Baclofen

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities