Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hello, I have been having the same annoying problem now for over three

Hello, I have been having the same annoying problem now for over three years. I dance, and I keep having this pain close to the attachment where the muscles meet the ischial tuberosity, but I am starting to think that it's deeper than that. Remind you, this has been about three years ago and since then I have gone to the doctor about 5 times with the same problem, I have gotten an MRI scan that showed "nothing", I have gotten two x-rays that show nothing, I have done physcial therapy for 5 weeks (ulrasound and heat therapy), I have done massage therapy, and I recently finished my sessions at a chiropractic office. I cannot kick or do a split with this pain, I have tried everything. It feels like a really tight, sharp pain in the SAME spot. Like a torn muscle except this just won't heal. What do I do? Whatever muscle is located near the ischial tuberosity, in the upper/middle glute, and is closer to the outer thigh than the inner and helps to lift the leg and rotate it, THAT's the issue
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 11 months ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

What type of dance do you do and how strenuous is it?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much Dr. Rick. I am about 5'4 and I weigh 105 pounds. I do many different types of dance, my main is majorette which is actually really strenuous. There are lots of fast, hard movements involved. I do not have any medical problems and I do not take medication.

As it relates to this "injury" I started a regimen of taking anti-inflammatory medicine, but after a week realized that it was not helping. Other than that, I do not take anything.

TaShe,

Thank you for that extra information.

At this point it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You are right on point Dr. I have struggled with this for a long time, and I'm tired of the generic answers with the same solutions that never work. I have definitely thought about your suggestion and that is my next step. I do have one question though before you leave, do you think this could in some way be nerve related? I refuse to believe that my muscle is in the SAME condition for this period of time. Maybe there's more to it.
Tashe,

You have an excellent thought there. It could very well be that your continued difficulties in this area are due to an issue with the nerve supply.

One thing I can tell you for sure: At a large University hospital they will leave no stone un-turned in getting to the bottom of what is going on.

I wish you the very best :) Feel better soon.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC