Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I talked to my 83 year-old Mother this afternoon

I talked to my 83 year-old Mother this afternoon (labor day), and she told me that since Saturday she has been experiencing intermittent pain in her stomach, every 15 to 30 minutes.

The only other symptoms are passing gas and belching. She does have a history of high blood pressure and acid reflux, both of which she takes medicine for prevention. She also has a history of ulcers; in fact, a few years ago she was hospitalized for bleeding ulcers and had a transfusion.

The pain is around her navel and eminating slighly below (not down as far as the groin),

What do you make of her situation, and when she should contact her physician? Thank you.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

if she has a history of excessive stomach acid and stomach ulcers, she could have stomach acid issues back again causing the stomach pain and belching and gas.

if she is not on a stomach acid blocking agent, she might need to go on something like nexium or protonix.

if she is on protonix or nexium already, she might need to get her stool tested for blood to see if she is bleeding again from an ulcer.

she might need to see a GI doctor soon to get a repeat upper endoscopy to check on a possible return of the ulcer.

and she might need testing to check for H Pylori bacteria in the stomach which can cause stomach ulcers.

bleeding from the stomach gets digested through the small bowel and can turn the stool tar black.

you can ask her if she has any black stools.

but she still needs to see a GI doctor about her stomach issues soon.