Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I experienced a terrible few days of sickness that Im just

Customer Question

I experienced a terrible few days of sickness that I'm just now coming out of, but I wish I knew what it was. I'm hoping my symptoms might make sense to one of you doctors. I don't have health insurance right now, and I consider ERs a place to go when spouting blood -- that is, for emergencies -- but I really almost went in, it was that bad.

In 2006, I went to Urgent Care for extreme abdominal pain, and passed out in the waiting room. That turned out to be a kidney stone (diagnosed by CAT scan). In 2012 I went to the ER (no Urgent Care there) with identical symptoms. I declined to pay 1000s just to have it officially confirmed as a kidney stone -- but it was very clearly the same as before; and the same treatment -- IV dilaudid -- brought relief.

So now this time: about two hours after dinner, I started to experience real abdominal (or pelvic?) discomfort, rapidly developing into serious pain. I thought maybe it was just terrible gas pain, and that I needed to make a BM. I couldn't, though -- constipation is unusual for me, but I thought that must be it. I drank some Senekot tea and took some Advil, and tried to wait it out, drinking as much water as I could tolerate. The pain was really intense -- I felt feverish, and nauseated from the pain, if that makes sense. The pain wasn't diffuse, or moving around, so I started to think kidney stone. But the thought of suffering for hours in an ER waiting room, and then only maybe getting treated -- possibly having to pay out-of-pocket for a CAT scan, just to prove my need -- was too awful. I was so hopeful that a BM would make all the difference.

Well, I guess I wasn't constipated, because there was nothing in there to come out. For the next three full days, I had these unrelenting symptoms:

1) bad abdominal/pelvic pain that slowly faded;
2) extreme muscle fatigue or achey-pain, especially around my torso, but everywhere -- felt like I had been "tenderized" - ha ha - just pummeled, I mean.
3) extreme sensitivity/pain of my skin, all over, to everything.
4) headache, with loud ringing in my ears.

In some aspects, it felt like flu (I mean the actual, awful flu, not a bad cold) -- but it obviously wasn't that. In other ways, it seemed like food poisoning -- but with no throwing up! I drank and peed out huge volumes of water. I added a little salt and sugar to the water - yum yum! since I was eating nothing at all. It seemed like my pee should have been almost clear, but I thought it was reddish/orange once -- but honestly, I was sort of delusional some of the time, and alone, so I don't know if that "memory" is real.

At the end of ~72 hrs, I had some milk, and grew bolder from there, which has gone fine. After 4 days, I'm basically okay -- but traumatized! And totally paranoid about eating the beautiful veggies from the garden my last meal came from.

Sorry so long!! Just trying to give any possible clues.... Any thoughts/questions appreciated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

A number of things need to be ruled out here.

Electrolyte abnormality, Mucosal gastritis, Gastric or duodenal Ulcer, Acute cholecystitis (due to gall blader inflammation), Pancreatitis, mesenteric infarction, intestinal torsion, intussusception, etc are possilities.

You need to see your doctor for this.

Tests that will help are Ultrasound of the abdomen and Upper GI Endoscopy.

For now, you can take Alka Seltzer or Mylanta two-three teaspoonfuls thrice daily and tab. Zantac or Cap. Prilosec 20 mg(OTC) once daily early in the morning.

Also cut down on alcohol and smoking, cut down on deep fried foods.

But do discuss with a doctor at the earliest. If there are any severe symptoms then you need to go to the ER at once.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your quick response. I must say, I was more prepared to be told not to worry so much, than this... but I'm glad now that I asked.

I drink about one serving of wine or beer a month, and I don't smoke. I've been more careless lately in my eating, but not much fried food -- more like too much processed instead of homemade food, too much pasta and bread.... I've never in my life had acid reflux or digestive troubles.... I do have both Pepcid and Prilosec in the house, as they've been prescribed for my cat! So I can try them, and will.

Unfortunately, I don't have a doctor right now, nor health insurance. Sadly, I live in the backwards country of USA, and to see a doctor would send me into bankruptcy. I know that's a terrible reason not to go in, but reality is what it is... Can you tell me if something in particular in my story was alarming, so I can at least closely monitor myself?

I will try the meds you suggest, and the dietary adjustments, and will start checking around the area for low-cost clinics, and the like. Thank you so much for your help. I won't keep pestering you with questions, and intend to rate your help as excellent.

Hello Erika,

The severe abdominal pain is worrying.

Watch out for vomiting, diarrhea, fever, any severe symptoms. If these occur best to see a doctor anyhow.

For now take care of your diet and take the OTC medicines I mentioned.

Take care.

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Hello Erika,

How are you doing now? Did you see your doctor? I would like to follow up with you on this, do write back to me when you have seen your doctor.

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly

I would be honored to be included in your list.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Jyoti,

Thanks for your follow up. I have not gone to see a doctor, but I haven't had any hint of the strange symptoms I wrote you about, either. I've mostly just been paying better attention to my diet -- I thought your idea of an electrolyte imbalance was a possibility, as I'd been eating particularly carelessly.

There's another hypothesis I had, too -- perhaps you'd comment on it. On that first night of my illness, my entire dinner came from a friend's garden. There are a few things I've learned about the garden since then that make me wonder if I suffered from some sort of poisoning. One thing is that the property is having some massive sewage issue (I don't know more), and I wonder if it's possible the veggies got contaminated. The other thing I learned is that some very intense pesticides - ones that are not necessarily approved for food crops - may have been used on an adjacent, non-food crop. And yes, of course I wash my vegetables before eating them (in this case, I ate them raw, after marinating them in vinegar and herbs), but maybe I'm less diligent in washing things I pick myself from someone's garden, versus veggies I buy at the grocery store.

Thanks again for your concern -- I will come back to you if I have any other medical questions.

Well, that could be significant.

This might have been some toxicity in your system, from some pesticides.

The fact that you havent had a repeat of the symptoms is significant, suggesting that it was a one time issue.

Thats certainly a distinct possibility.