Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I became quite anemic when in a hospital in the UK. When I

I became quite anemic when in a hospital in the UK. When I returned to the US I went immediately to emergency; I was seeing irregular patterns on walls (hallucinations) and hearing an incessant loud roar, even in quiet places. After several hours in emergency, s physician mentioned that hearing and iron levels could be connected so I went home a took some iron supplements. By the next morning the problems had gone. It is clear to me that the iron supplements made the difference. Can you give me some references that might be relevant?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

Dr. Hasan :

I am myself an ENT specialist so i deal with these hearing problems and roaring noises.

Dr. Hasan :

There is just one link which comes to my mind.

Dr. Hasan :

With low iron, our heart pumps more blood and as a result of that one can hear a sound called pulsatile tinnitus.

Dr. Hasan :

This can cause decreased hearing to some extent but not a significant one.

Dr. Hasan :

Other than this low iron can't cause decreased hearing and roaring.

Dr. Hasan :

You are really lucky that you got rid of all this just with one dose of supplement because no iron supplement can raise the iron levels overnight.

Customer:

My hemoglobin level was 84. g/dL. The hearing problem was a continual roar. During my stay in the hospital it seemed that there was an increasing level of what I thought might be industrial noise or air conditioning. But by the end of the long walk to the plane it was a roar! I was concerned whether the plane was functioning well and was assured that it was.

Dr. Hasan :

Well i really haven't seen any patient at 84 with complain of hearing problems and roaring.

Dr. Hasan :

The cause in your case might be a different one like a mild inner ear infection but i must congratulate you because if you got rid of it, you are lucky.

Dr. Hasan :

We call it tinnitus and it's hard to treat.

Customer:

Since then I have taken iron supplements and now iron levels and associated levels such as PCV and Blood Iron are normal. I think that I had fallen below some(for me) critical threshold.

Customer:

tinnitus is typically not described as a "roar", right? From what I have read it it more often described as ringing.

Dr. Hasan :

There might be some wax inside your ear which can do so by irritating the ear drum and once it was dislodged overnight, you got rid of your symptoms.

Dr. Hasan :

Tinnitus can be in the form of roaring, ringing etc. There are many patterns.

Customer:

Can iron supplementation, in your view, make any difference, in a few hours, to anything?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes if your PCV is improving, you are doing fine,

Customer:

Does the PCV improve quickly?

Dr. Hasan :

No not at all, in few hours they can;t make any difference.

Dr. Hasan :

Neither in hearing nor in PCV

Customer:

Suppose that you had blood tests done for a patient and the patient came back with the measure hemoglobin 8.4, PCV 25%. Red Blood Cells 2.92, Retic HGB equiv 25.1, Iron Blood 41 mcg/dL. How would you response?

Dr. Hasan :

I would think of iron deficiency anemia first and will serum ferritin levels and accordingly i will give iron supplements and will look for any cause of low Hb such as i will check stool for blood etc.

Dr. Hasan :

I will get a consultation from hematologist and internist.

Dr. Hasan :

But definitely i will not suspect anything serious at this stage.

Dr. Hasan :

Have you seen by any specialist so far?

Dr. Hasan :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes. It seems that there is no serious problem. I had a colonoscopy and that was fine. The UK hospital states that my discharge hemoglobin was 9.9 but the night (or early morning) after I left the UK it was 8.4. That seems like a fast drop. Is it? What can cause such a drop?

Dr. Hasan :

What was the duration between two tests?

Dr. Hasan :

I mean between 9.9 and 8.4

Customer:

I just checked on that. The 9.9 was done on the 13th and the 8.4 on the 16th (the 16th in US Central time, or the early hours of the 17th in the UK)

Dr. Hasan :

Well if you didn't bled from anywhere then one of the reports can be doubtful.

Dr. Hasan :

You should get one again after a week and that will show the true picture.

Dr. Hasan :

So sudden drops is not possible.

Customer:

All this happened in March. I had a blood test a week or so after the night in the emergency room in the US and the levels were still low but increasing from the 8.4. I will have to check on how much they had increased.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes but it's still low.

Dr. Hasan :

I advise you to see a hematologist.

Dr. Hasan :

but don't worry, it's manageable.

Customer:

We are not "on the same page." In March I had surgery in the UK. Since then I have had tests, etc. and all my levels are now normal. I am not worried about my blood tests at this point.

Dr. Hasan :

oh i am sorry for the confusion.

Dr. Hasan :

If levels are normal now then no worries.

Customer:

Thank you for your remark about checking the set of results that I had shortly after (a week or so) the 8.4 reading. BTW, my understanding is that, since human subjects are involved, medical research cannot do controlled tests studying many issues. This is probably why there seems to be few references to the short term effects of low iron on adults.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. Yes the universe is very diverse and we know many things but at the same time much info has still not revealed, so everything is possible.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery