Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi I am 60 years old and live in CA. I was a firefighter for

Hi I am 60 years old and live in CA. I was a firefighter for 30 years. I was retired on an Industrial Disability. I have several workers compensation cases pending. One of them is for prostate cancer. My cancer is determined to be work related. My prostate was removed. After one year I continue to have ED and incontinence issues. I was seen by and AME and waiting for his rating report. I want to ensure it is in the ballpark. I would like to know what percentage whole person rating I could expect in CA for my prostate removal, with associated ED and incontinence issues and what dollar amount that whole person impairment rating equates. Thanks for letting me know what other info you may need to make fairly accurate rating. The rating is being based on AMA Guidelines for Impairment, Fifth Edition. If this needs to be passed along to another area of just answer, thanks for doing so. I appreciate the help. Dan
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

What sort/companies do you have disability pending?

How is your prostate cancer work related?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I probably need someone familiar with the AMA Impairment Guidelines Fifth Edition...if you are great, if not thanks for letting me know how Just Answer can get me to the appropriate expert for my question.

The workers compensation carrier has determined my prostate cancer and subsequent removal is work related 100%.

I do have other work related workers compensation issues. A right knee and heart/cardio were settled in 2002. They both have open medical. I have a hand injury that was settled and has open medical. I currently have three cases pending with workers comp. My prostate, just awaiting the AME report, which will give a rating, a cummulative back injury and a right shoulder injury which are being negotiated with workers comp carrier, the City attorney and my attorney.

My question just involves the prostate. One year after surgery there are still ED and incontinence issues. I know these are factored in when using the AMA Guidelines.

Thanks for letting me know if you can come to a whole body impairment rating for the prostate and associated factors and what that percentage figure monetarily worth....again I live in CA.

Thanks

Dan,

Compiling the data you want and doing the type of evaluation you are requesting usually requires a multi-hour, in person, evaluation as well as an in-depth review of your entire medical records, financial data and work history.

As you can see, what you are needing is not really possible online, not even for $25

I suggest you contact your Union Representative from your prior job. He should be able to get you in contact with an expert who can assist you. If that is not possible then I would consult with a local lawyer who specializes in workers compensation and disability. I am sure that there are many to choose from throughout California.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will give you higher rating for your honesty, but I want to know how to lower my payment. In the end my question was not able to be answered on Just Answer. I am willing to give you something for your time, but not the full amount I would have paid should I have gotten an impairment rating figure. Thanks for letting me know how I lower my payment with Just Answer.

Dan,

I'm not sure how to do that but, I do appreciate your thoughts on this.

If you contact customer service:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

perhaps something can be done to lower your payment.

I wish you the very best.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC