Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am worried about touching my computer and phone after possibly

I am worried about touching my computer and phone after possibly not washing my hands thoroughly enough... I have HSV-2 Genital. No outbreak for 3 months, and I take Valtrex daily. I wiped my phone down with a Clorox wipe, and computer keys and mouse as well with Clorox wipes. Left them for 24 hours without using. Would you say they're free from concern for myself and others to use now? Without worry? If so... am I over acting with cleaning these things? Could I've used immed? So tired of feeling surrounded by possible contamination to myself, and others.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

From what you have posted concerning your techniques to clean things you are fine. Clorox will kill it all. ;)

Dr. Rick, MD :

You are OK to use the keyboard after just a few minutes after wiping down with clorox wipes.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD says:
9:00 AM
9:01 AM
9:01 AM
9:02 AM
Does this make sense to you?
9:02 AM

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need to wipe down everything I touch? I am new to heroes and it drives me crazy. But surely after waiting 24 hours there would be absolutely no risk from touching the stuff, correct? Can you catch herpes off of objects like this?
Alec,

My entire response was eaten by the Gremlins that live in the internet :(

Let me re-type it.....

No. You do not really have to wipe down everything you touch. The virus, especially when you do not have any active lesions, really doesn't transfer to your hands and then to other objects where it can infect others that easily. It doesn't spread that way.

Just washing your hands as usual should be fine.

But, that being said, if you want to wipe things down with clorox wipes that won't hurt anything at all. The surface would be bug free when dry. Clorox kills almost everything very fast :)

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So even if there was some virus, which there may not have been, it wouldn't survive on my keyboard 24 hours, even without wiping it down?
One the virus is away from your warm body it dies real fast. It can not be transmitted by touching daily objects.

Your keyboard is not a worry. It is safe to use.

You don't need to worry like you are, although I understand how you feel.

Have you considered getting help for your anxiety over this topic?

I wish you the very best. You, really, are going to be OK :)