Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hi, I have some constant mild nausea (I have vomited few

I have some constant mild nausea (I have vomited few times) with mild pain and cramping in my abdomen. nausea sometimes goes away after eating, but then mild to moderate pain start to occur in upper abdomen ( about 30 min) Also I have feeling of haviness in my lower back. I was adminstered omeprazol 20 mg for GERD but did not help much. (I was told that I have IBS too) I had USG but did not show anything to worry. I have a possibilty to do abdomen MRI, but I would like to avoid dye. My question - Is MRI 1.5T w/o contrast much inferior to with contrast to show general conditions of organs (major issues), Is the procedure (wo contrast) much superior to USG ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 7 months ago.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Dye does add some information to the MRI but you could have the MRI without contrast first and, if the radiologist thinks it is necessary, have it repeated with contrast.

Dr. Rick, MD :

MRI contrast material is not the same as contrast you get with normal Xrays....

Dr. Rick, MD :

If I were in your shoes, I would -- if the radiologist thinks it is indicated -- have the MRI with contrast.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Dr. Rick, MD : Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
Dr. Rick, MD : Dye does add some information to the MRI but you could have the MRI without contrast first and, if the radiologist thinks it is necessary, have it repeated with contrast.
Dr. Rick, MD : MRI contrast material is not the same as contrast you get with normal Xrays....
Dr. Rick, MD : If I were in your shoes, I would -- if the radiologist thinks it is indicated -- have the MRI with contrast.
Dr. Rick, MD : Does this make sense to you

Dr. Rick, MD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi Doctor,

I was told that the procedure is worthless w/o contrast. My main concern is renal failure after dye.

My entire post was eaten by the Gremlins. Let me re-type it.

I would not worry about gadolinium MRI contrast dye. The risk to kidneys is very low and really only a problem if you already have kidney problems. Also, the only other contrast material available for MRIs is only used to look at liver disease.

I, personally, have had 3 MRIs in my lifetime with gadolinium and suffered no ill effects from it.

Also, if your doctor said that the test would not be valuable without contrast then you should not waste your time and money on a non-contrast MRI.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC