DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Male 56...Had a bad UTI 2 weeks ago. Cleared with cipro. Off

Male 56...Had a bad UTI 2 weeks ago. Cleared with cipro. Off the cipro now for 2 days.
Tested 15 days ago was pos at walk in clinic for E coli

Some weak stream and messy stream

all resolved tho until......

I Saw a urologist today and he was mildly concerned it was caused by a stricture and wanted to take a wait and see before going further.

I left concerned about it!

Went home and then suddenly 3 hours later (4 hours ago) my urine started to have a very mild burning sensation to it again for the first time since the cipro cleared me 2 weeks ago.

Its a 3 day holiday weekend starting

Should I run to a walk in clinic in the morning and get another culture (and more cipro)?
Should I wait til Tuesday and call him back
Should I just ignore it because its likely psychosomatic?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I'm sorry to say this, but given what you have posted, I would go to the walk in clinic rather than wait for a three day weekend to pass :(

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD : Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
Dr. Rick, MD : I'm sorry to say this, but given what you have posted, I would go to the walk in clinic rather than wait for a three day weekend to pass :(
Dr. Rick, MD : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick, MD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Hello from JA
I am a double board certified clinician and I will answer you promptly.

Cipro is not a great drug to begin with and there is a lot of drug resistance now days.

I would get a culture, and start the correct cephalosporin until sensitivity results are back.

I would do this now as a resistant bug is very possible.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but the cipro worked and right away too!

It was the right drug-I have no doubt

It was 2 days after I finished my 14 day course that I thought the symptoms came back last night

Since I wrote the question last night, the symptoms dissapeared when I awoke this morning

I dont know what to do now

OK
If you are better fine...follow your doctors plan.
If not, do as I instructed.

If you have an anatomic problem, this can predispose you to not clear up infections all the way.
Partial resistance can also cause this.

So, at any further hint of symptoms, I would get the culture.

Please don’t forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.