Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I am a 46 year old woman with very dense breasts and a history

I am a 46 year old woman with very dense breasts and a history of multiple benign cysts in my right breast. just had a mammogram with results of " lobulated mass with indistinct and circumscribed margin in left breast measuring 30mm x 12mm, which appears to be new. The report also says " most likely cyst."

This is the first one I have had in the left breast and that concerns me. it says indistinct and circumscribed, which seem to be opposites. My doctor scheduled me for ultrasound but it is a few weeks away.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

How does this mammogram compare with previous studies?

Any mention of calcification?

Is the doctor considering drainage during the ultrasound if it appears to be a cyst?

What questions do you have concerning this lesion?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I frequently have masses, although one in the right breast appears larger. the one described above is in my left breast, and I have not generally has cysts there. No mention of calcification.

I take synthroid for hypothyroid but that is all. I did have excision of a benign papillary lesion in right breast 4 years ago.

My concern about mass described in first post is that it is new and first one in left breast and the " indistinct" part.

is this more of a concern for malignancy?

Thank you for that extra information.

My wife had just about the same issue about 8 months ago, so I can speak from not only from a medical point of view but from personal experience shared with my wife.

From what you have posted I do not think that there is any higher risk of this being cancer then any of your previous lesions. The radiologist feels it is a cyst and it most likely is.

The terms indistinct and circumscribed just mean that is was kinda hard to see and that it was not spreading into the surrounding tissue but, rather, had edges that were easy to you would expect with a cyst.

So. What is the take home message? No need to panic. Have the ultrasound and, if indicated, have the cyst drained so the fluid can be examined by a pathologist.

From what you have posted, I think you will be just fine :)

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS