Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have been having this problem in the past several months:

I have been having this problem in the past several months: Once or twice a week i will start getting so tired in the middle of the day that it's hard to stay awake at my desk at work. At the same time I start feeling my muscles get very weak... like, it's hard to even lift my hands or type when this happens. The harder I fight to stay awake, the weaker and more sickly I feel. Sometimes with this I get chills, sometimes not. The only thing that makes me feel any better is coming home, lying on the couch and riding out whatever it is for a few hours. During this time, I'm just about useless... I can barely move my head, and often I hurt really bad all over. I do have a fibromyalgia diagnosis but have not had any of these episodes until recently (like the last month or two.) Any ideas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Have you discussed these symptoms with your doctor at all?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Do you notice your eyelids getting droopy and hard to hold open when you feel this way?

Customer:

I have not discussed these latest episodes with my dr but I have talked to him at length about my previous issues with fatigue and pain, which we usually just decide it's more fibro... (seems like it's always the fibro...)I'm on cymbalta, naproxxen, tramadol for the fibro, an HBP medicine, and vitamin B and iron supplements because I do have anemia problems

Customer:

yes, they are soooo hard to hold open

Dr. Rick, MD :

ok. Thank you for that extra information.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Well, from what you have posted, I think it would be worthwhile for your doctor to examine you with the possibility of myasthenia gravis

Customer:

can you explain what that is?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Yes. This is a disorder of the muscles where your own body attacks the receptors that your muscle uses to know when to contract (acetylcholine receptors)

Customer:

I should maybe also add that four years ago I was in a bad car accident. It seems like since then my body has just decided to give up on me. LOL

Dr. Rick, MD :

Eye lid and eye muscle movement problems are many times the first signs of this disease.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Here is a very good web site that discusses this in a lot better detail than I can...since I am a very slow typist :)

Dr. Rick, MD :

I'm not sure that a car accident would make you more likely to have MG but, from what you have posted, I think you should discuss the possibility with your MD and see if she thinks a workup is indicated. It sure wouldn't hurt to check into the possibilty.

Customer:

if it is myasthenia... when these attacks come on, all I can say is my eyes suddenly feel like I've been asleep for hours and someone is trying to wake me up really fast... you know, like I'm trying to open my eyes but can't. Does that sound right?

Dr. Rick, MD :

yes. That could possibly be from MS. The other thing about this particular disease is that it gets better with rest, after a nap etc.

Customer:

oooookay, yeah it sounds like I need to go back to the doctor!!! LOL I did have a spinal MRI done to look for MS (couldn't get the insurance co to cover a brain MRI and spine at the same time -dr was also looking for slipped discs) and nothing was found but that was two years ago. I will make an appointment Thank you for your help.

Dr. Rick, MD :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC