Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My dad is 51 years old. He has had a cough that he is not able

My dad is 51 years old. He has had a cough that he is not able to get rid of. It all started when over a year ago he fell asleep next to a fire where he later found out he burned poison ivy in which he is allergic to. He ended up breathing in the fire smoke. Ever since then he has this cough that starts in the late afternoon and gets worse as the night progresses. Sometimes he feels like he will throw up and its a bad hacking chest cough. He very rarely eats or drink dairy products because it makes the cough worse and feels like it swells everything up. He has been to three doctors and they have given him an enhaler which only suppresses the cough but swear its all from allergies, which he says he doesn't have. I dont' know what else to do for him or suggest to him but he is tired of coughing every single night.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello has he had any tests like bronchoscopy or CT scan, pulmonary function tests?

Customer:

no. He went to a local family practioner 3 times and he said they wanted to run tests but my dad didnt think they were necessary

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti :

no, this is something for which he needs to be tested

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there could be many causes for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

one strong possibility is COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which is very likely at his age

Dr. P. Jyoti :

his symptoms are typical

Dr. P. Jyoti :

he needs a Pulmonary function test for this to diagnose

Customer:

and what is that test?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a CT scan of the lungs is also needed at his age for chronic cough

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is to rule out any other cause like tumors for example

Customer:

oh okay

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the third test which may be sometimes indicated is a bronchoscopy

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is both to check inside his lungs and also use the bronchoscopic lavage for smear examination and culture sensitivity tests

Customer:

so there is no way of doing anything over the counter to help medicine wise but that there could be something acutally wrong. It's just wierd because none of this started until he fell asleep next to the bonfire he had going

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these three tests are important for him

Dr. P. Jyoti :

some of OTC things that he can do are:

Customer:

okay ill mention those three tests to him

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Fluids: drink plenty of water.
Humidifier: use a humidifier in the room.
Vit. C supplement: 1000 mg Vit. C supplements daily (available OTC).
N- Acetyl Cysteine: this is a supplement available at natural food stores which helps drainage.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these steps will help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but at the same time he must see his doctor again and get tested

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

No sir. I will try and get all of these things taken care of. Thank you for all your help and advice.