Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I had a tumor removed from my bladder one year ago. 3 month

I had a tumor removed from my bladder one year ago. 3 month cystos have shown all clear, but I got a positive cancer urine sample at my last cysto some 6 weeks ago. I had a follow up CT to compare with my baseline CT of a year ago. Clean. Looked good. Met with my urologist this past Tuesday and decided that we'd keep a close eye on things and continue checking every three months with an MRI (reduce radiation) in one year.

Yesterday morning I noticed a slightly dark color in my urine. By 11:00 it was significantly darker. At 2:30 it was quite dark (brownish with reddish tinge) and I passed two large clots. I called my urologist. He was out for the day, but his nurse recommended I go to the EM last night to see if there was any other problem. Urine analysis turned up blood in urine, but no infection.

This morning I was hoping to get in for a cysto to see what in the world is going on that fast! My doc's nurse said that my doc wants me to wait a week or so until the bleeding stops before he does the cysto. This seemed strange to me as we did the cysto originally (one year ago) just two days after my urine turned bloody with clots just as it is now.

I know my doc is booked solid for the next 2 to 3 weeks. Could he just be putting me off until he can more comfortably work me into his schedule? I'm reasonably concerned about this and don't want to wait for 8 days to see what is going on in my bladder.

Okay, my question. Can a cysto be done with some blood in the urine with reasonable success? Am I being put off so as to not inconvenience somebody? I need a straight answer.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

That is an excellent question and I can assure you that if your doctor thought that he should do the scope right away with this new episode of bleeding he would work late and make sure you were treated right away. He would put off necessary treatment for the sake of his schedule.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Yes, a cysto can be done with blood in your urine as there is a large volume of fluid flushed through your bladder during the procedure so the amount of bleeding you are having would not interfere at all.

Dr. Rick, MD :

If you do not want to wait, and given your history I can't say that I blame you for feeling that way, then I 'd contact another urologist and see if you can be scoped right away.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Clinically, will it make a difference? Probably not. But if I was my bladder bleeding I'd want a scope sooner rather than later too :)

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC