Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

What are the plastic strips left on my stomach following surgery?

What are the plastic strips left on my stomach following surgery? Are they covering the incisions? Are they covering stitches that have to come out? Will they fall off on their own? Or does my surgeon have to RIP them off! OWIE!

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Can you upload, using the paper clip on your screen, a picture of these strips?

Dr. Rick, MD :

How long ago was your surgery? What was the surgery?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, MD : Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
Dr. Rick, MD : Can you upload, using the paper clip on your screen, a picture of these strips?
Dr. Rick, MD : How long ago was your surgery? What was the surgery?

You can also upload a picture like this:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm working on the photo.....

I had lap band surgery. My surgeon said it was okay for the exterior bandage to be removed 2 - 4 days post-op, and those have come off.

Underneath is the so-called steri-strips, I think, that he told me to leave on until the follow-up visit.

I had my surgery one week ago.

Sara,

Ok. No picture needed.

Those are just kinda like "medical duct tape" Steri strips help to give the surgical wound strength. They will start to peel off in a couple of weeks. If they come off, no big deal. If they stay on for a bit longer that is OK too.

They are nothing to worry about and will not be on your skin forever.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS