Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

Recently I have started waking up during the night, a lot.

Recently I have started waking up during the night, a lot. I am wondering if it has to do with the last year and a half of being woken up by snoring. I also have had several nights of night sweats. Not sure why. I am 45 yr old female.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Do you have associated symptoms like breathlessness/ chest pain or fever? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Ken,

I don't have any other issues when I wake up in the middle of the night other than the night sweats. I wake up a few times every night now. The only medical condition I've been diagnosed with is panic disorder (is that medical?)

Night sweats worry me a bit. This associated with awakening needs to be evaluated for sure. Before putting it on panic attack I would like to rule out few other causes like - obstruction of the airway at laryngo-pharynx by lax muscles or epiglottis/ heart element {worries me the most} or some infection focus in the body. Low blood sugar or low blood pressure also needs to be looked in to.

A physical evaluation along with few investigations like blood tests/ EKG, echo-cardiogram/ sleep study/ chest x ray and ultrasound of abdomen should give us more answers.

Till than - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ lose excess weight if any, exercise regularly/ raise the head part of your bed.

Wish you well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you

I have recently lost about 10 pounds and been on Atkins diet with a net carb daily at about 40 per day. I do have low blood pressure as well.

I work out almost daily (60 minutes of zumba and sometimes a 3 mile walk as well) and mow our 1 acre lawn in the Georgia heat 2x a week. Last week I almost fainted and my heart was pounding, as well as my head.

Wonder if this is all related

I am happy that you have lost adequate weight and exercise regularly.

Pounding heart and near fainting needs to be investigated {sooner the better}. The cause can be abnormality at the heart or other causes - anemia/ dehydration.

Again - If you were my relative or a close friend than I would get you evaluated and not dismiss mild symptoms you are having now {night sweats/ fainting or pounding heart}.

Good luck