Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, I have been having pain on the rt lower side of my stomach,

Hi, I have been having pain on the rt lower side of my stomach, nausea and lack of appetite sin ice Sunday. My bowl movements have been normal. I went to the ER last night and they did a ct and said I did not have appendicitis, but there was a lot of stool in the rt colon and lots of gas. Inwas sent home and told to take milk of magnisia. How could I have lots of stool in my colon when I have normal bowle movements?
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

These are actually different parts of the colon. When you have a bowel movement, you are emptying the lower portion of the colon (primarily the rectosigmoid portion of the colon). The right side of the colon is not emptied by a bowel movement and whether there is an excessive amount of material in the right colon does not affect the bowel movements that occur. Obviously, there is flow from one portion of the colon to other portions of the colon, but if there is a slower passage through the right portion of the colon, it would not be manifested as a change in bowel movements.

The recommendation of the doctor to use a laxative, such as milk of magnesia, is the usual treatment when there is evidence of increase stool in any portion of the colon.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.