Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I completely severed my ulnar nerve in a car accident 24cm

I completely severed my ulnar nerve in a car accident 24cm from the tip of my pinky finger on the right arm, which was surgically reattached within 24h of the accident. I have been told that nerves regrow at a rough rate of 1mm per day, so theoretically the nerve could regrow within 240 days (8 months-ish). I am starting to get a pins and needles feeling on the tip of the pinky, which I think is becoming more persistent. I am 25, fit and healthy, non smoker. I would like to know the best case, worst case and average case scenario for both healing time and function returned (to the best of your estimations). I'd also like to know if there is anything that I can do to speed up the nerve's regrowth.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this excellent question

When was the accident?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for responding. It was on the 16th of June this year.

Thanks Nick.

I would suspect that you will get back a good deal of function.

The nerve is going to take a full year to heal.

Worst case scenario is that you don't get full function/healing

Best case is you are 100%

However, I strongly believe that you will get at least 80% function back. This is typical in a young healthy person

one year is the key marker. The amount you get back after one year is usually the most you will get back

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Dr Phil.

Is there anything that I can do to speed up and improve my outcome?

Sorry, a quick additional bit of info - I shattered my right tibia, broke the fibula on the same leg, broke the ulna bone in the right arm, dislocated my pelvis and generally got battered around pretty good. My body has had a fair bit of healing to do, would this affect your estimations?

Thanks Nick

Sorry about the late reply

Just the arm/hand exercises given to you by physical therapy.

Things that will hurt it are

inactivity

smoking

alcohol

The other injuries will not affect my estimations
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)