Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

Hello. I have recently quit smokeless tobacco and have now

Hello. I have recently quit smokeless tobacco and have now gone 8 days completely tobacco free. I have gone through and beaten all withdrawal symptoms until now. I have a really bad burning sensation in my chest and its causing me not to eat. Is there anything I can do to dull the pain enough to eat a meal?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

it sounds like you could be having bad esophagitis from acid reflux possibly

you can try liquid antacids like liquid maalox or mylanta to see if this helps calm the esophagitis and stomach acid

you can also try over the counter stomach acid blockers like pepcid or zantac or prilosec to block acid production in the stomach. that might also help your esophagitis.

have you used these stomach acid blockers and antacids before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have tried a wide assortment of antacids. Its like my esophagus is like raw skin. Its been coated with nicotine and tobacco for the past ten years and now I'm taking that coating away

then you need to see a doctor and get stronger prescription coating medications like carafate and stronger stomach acid blockers like protonix or nexium

you also have to change your diet to avoid alcohol, sodas, spicy foods, fried foods, black pepper, acidic juices, fatty foods, tomato sauces, anything which causes increased stomach acid, until your esophagitis gets better.

have you changed your diet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, but I've changed it to where I'm eating nothing because of the pain. I know its not an acid thing, its a withdrawal symptom of nicotine abuse. What I don't know is if there is anything I can take to help ease the pain so I can eat.

you can use nicotine patches like a 7mcg nicotine patch to give you a bit of nicotine to help with your withdraw symptoms and then stop the patch in a few days.

you can use nicotine gum, but that might cause nausea s well.

you can buy nicotine patches over the counter.
why did you rate bad service?

you didn't like my recommendations?

what other questions do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not want or need any nicotine. I have beaten nicotine cravings physically and mentally. This is a symptom that happens through the withdrawal process. You can read other stories all over the internet. What I can't find is any advice on what to do about the pain. I will not use any nicotine products. I have tried an anti-inflammatory, acetaminophen, aleve, and antacids

don't give me negative feedback for giving suggestions.

I didn't know you didn't want to use any nicotine productions. if you are having withdraw symptoms, that means your body has not completely beaten nicotine cravings.

sometimes swallowing a small spoonful of canola oil or vegetable oil before meals can help foods slide down better if you have bad esophagitis inflammation.

any stronger medications to help with your symptoms will requiring seeing a doctor and getting prescription medications like carafate or stronger acid blockers or using prescription oral lidocaine to numb up your esophagus to help you swallow.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The negative feedback is for suggesting that somebody who had chiefly stated they have been tobacco free for 8 days should try using a nicotine patch. The canola oil is something I've never heard of. I thank you for that. I would like to NOT use something that requires a prescription because I know it will be over in a few days. I'm sure there is something out there that will help ease the pain, I just don't know what it is

sometimes ice water can help numb up the esophagus as well

try the canola oil, just a small spoon of it swallowed before meals to help food go down easier.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using