Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I had previous surgery, Oct.31,2012 on debride meant of left

I had previous surgery, Oct.31,2012 on debride meant of left wrist TFCC and SL tear, also was told he heat shrank ligaments in wrist 3 times to stabilize bones in lt wrist, sinse then Had EMG, NCV , showed neurogenic changes in 3 rd digit muscle, FA muscle and Lt paraspinal muscles of back. Then had another surgery 4/24/2013 for decompression of left ulnar nerve. I have had a lt stellate ganglion block in left neck on 7/26/2013 and 8/20/2013. I am still suffering stinging pain in entire ulnar nerve , piercing in upper back upper spine , MRI showed protrusions of c5-6, T 5-6 , T 7-8 , and compression Fx/ kyphoscoliosis in T 11. 2 neurosurgeons told me protrusions were not pression on nerves in spine?! Is the piercing in my left upper mid back my ulnar nerve root and my back area burns in shoulder and neck area along with whole arm. I have been diagnosed with Complex regional Pain syndrome/ RSD. I am allergic to a lot of pain meds and been told I should consider spinal chord stimulator?! Not sure and praying for some answers
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

How much of your body was burned and to what degree?

Do you have any other symptoms?

What are your concerns about giving the spinal cord stim a try?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure how much was burned just hand ligaments and I think there is ulnar nerve damage from ulnar nerve being trapped in elbow for 10 mos. think pain goes into spine?! My doc was concerned bout placing stimulator into upper back, said had to go lumbar and could pose problem in neck when moving neck??? Also he said he would have to reopen left arm to place a lead in there?! On Gabapentin 300 mg tid, HCTZ 12.5mg and Cymbalta60 mg q day , Amytriptalline 25-50 mg HS and Ketamine topical 5 % PLO topical to affected arm , hand areas, Tylenol and alive pen pain. Do you feel this spinal chord stimulator will be a good choice for me to make? My MD father died last year in Nov. 2012, what is your opinion?!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I also have been getting left stellate ganglion blocks for pain control. Had 2 so far last one on August 20, 2013 . Will I always be in pain????
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Laura,

While I hope that you will not be in pain forever, RSD/CRPS are very, very difficult to treat.

From what you have posted, I would give the spinal cord stimulator a try.

If you didn't want to go that route, you might consider gathering up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital for another opinion. Why a large University Hospital? Because at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why is a neuro psych evaluation or assessment required prior to receiving a spinal chord stimulator?
Laura,

I must confess: I don't know :(

But as they say: "Those who have the Gold make the Rules"

So, I guess a good answer is "Because the Surgeon says so"....

I hope this works for you.

Let me know how things go. Best of luck to you :)

Dr. Rick