Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

I am having severe abdominal discomfort, bloating, and nonstop

I am having severe abdominal discomfort, bloating, and nonstop diarrhea. I was tested for IBD, gallbladder disease/stone, and everything came back negative. But my stomach just won't calm down. Doctor reluctantly concluded that it was IBS but pain/is so bad that my doctor has recommended that I take xifaxan. I am taking pepto as well. Where do I go from here and what other possible diseases can It be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 10 months ago.
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

What is your age & gender?
What tests have you undergone so far?
Since how long you have these symptoms?
What is the exact site of pain in abdomen?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
34, male, colonoscopy (with biopsy), endoscopy, x-ray (barium), capsule endo, blood tests (including prometheus sgi), stool tests, MRI, CT scan, ultrasound, and gallbladder scan. On and off 6-7 years but recent one is quite severe and does not respond to meds. Upper ab, mostly right quadrant but center + left is common as well. Seldom lower ab.
Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

If all other causes has been ruled out, then most likely cause of your symptoms is irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).It is not a disease. It’s a functional disorder,meaning that the bowel doesn't’t work, or function, correctly. Its causes are unknown.

Symptoms can come and go repeatedly without signs of damage to the GI tract.Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a problem that affects the large intestine.

As you have undergone almost all the tests of GI tract & all of them are normal,so most probably the cause of your pain & other symptoms is irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).

The prescription medications approved for the treatment of IBS are: Alosetron (Lotronex) and Lubiprostone (Amitiza).

There are other anti diarrheal medications.Also you may need anti depressant medications.Taking probiotics will increase the 'good' bacteria in the gut which will help to ward off 'bad' bacteria that may have effect on causing IBS symptoms and pain.

So I advice you to consult your gastro doctor for these prescription medications that will help you greatly.Till then take tab. Loperamide to stop the diarrhea & loose stools.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Then how will xifaxan help?
Dear customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.I am happy to help you.

It is believed that IBS develops in some individuals following an acute bacterial infection in the digestive system.Studies have shown that overgrowth of bacteria in the gut is definitively linked to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

Xifaxan (rifaximin) is an antibiotic that fights bacterial infection only in the intestines.

So to kill this bacterial infection that may cause IBS,your doctor had prescribed this antibiotic medication.I advise you to take it as prescribed & it will help you greatly in eradicating the gut bacterial infection.Also ask for the medications as described above.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Hi JA customer

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Are you taking Xifaxan (rifaximin)?
Have your symptoms improved?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert