Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have been everywhere for answers....I have terrible pressure

I have been everywhere for answers....I have terrible pressure in my head everyday the "balloon like" feeling expands and contracts everyday making me sick or than a different day sicker.....I've never been the same after a 15 hour flight from Istanbul.
As I write this I'm up in the air again at 42000 ft . i feel like there's water in my ear and something behind my nose pressure like....had Ct of sinus nope not that....
I feel sick to my stomach and when we land I'll have to sleep for about 3 hours to get normal....tomorrow another flight to NYC
it feels like there is water in my ears I tell the ENT that they say "no ears are fine"
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.
Do you get symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, cough etc?
Has ENT done your nasal endoscopy and has he got tympanometry test for ear pressure?
I am an ENT myself and wants to help you.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry my bad don't want text answer want answer to

XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Shelly, i am extremely sorry for the inconvenience but i don't have the facility to send you the answer at your email address. I can only post here. You will always get an email notification and from there you can open the link. We can keep talking till you want so just provide me the info i have asked for which includes;

Do you get these symptoms only while in flight or you get them otherwise also?

Only short replies are required and i will send you an answer.

Thanking you for your patience.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

during an executive physical at Mayo ( which is like a zoo diff Dr every hour) I recently complained of this huge problem so

-yes to audiologist tymp I think thats when they put a noise in ear and make you raise hand different than hearing I know that

-no to fluid no to discharge no to cough

-yes to 2 now endoscopy sinus look perfect a little dev septum

-on my trip from Istanbul- 1 hour before I had my hair washed in salon they got water all down my ears than I LAYED DOWN THE WHOLE 15 HOURS .....got up my life has never been the same

I use to bike 15 miles a day now I do nothing the pressure in my head has never gone away....only Veramyst a little bit calms it down it was so bad I had blurred vision for 1 month and dizziness that kept me in bed for 1 month

all that is better I'm left with

PRESSURE BALLOON LIKE IN HEAD

EARS FILLED WITH PRESSURE - FLYING IS EXCRUTIATING

PS. I'M IN THE AIR NOW

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. First of all i am really sorry to hear about your symptoms.

As per symptoms your problems sounds like eustachian tube dysfunction. The function of this tube is to equalize the pressure. specially in flight, this tube has to be efficient otherwise one can get symptoms like yours. Sinus inflammation is not necessarily related to it because eustachian tube alone can have dysfunction or sometime there is some anatomical anomaly in the tube which fails to equalize the pressure. It's also possible that one can feel the pressure behind nose and in head. Patulaous eustachian tube is one such condition in which no sinus inflammation is seen on CT scan.

Tympanometry is the test in which probes are put in ears (not headphones) and pressure is applied through the probe to see that is there any fluid in the ear and is the eustachian tube working fine. The test you have mentioned is called pure tone audiometry. So please confirm that if you have got tympanometry so far, you should get one because it's the deciding test that what can be done for you.

There are two types of treatment for this problem. First is medical treatment which includes steroid nasal spray like you have got. Then decongestant nasal spray like xylometazoline nasal spray two puffs thrice daily for seven days, tab sudafed twice daily for two weeks and steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily for two weeks is required. Fortunately except steroid nasal spray the other drugs are over the counter available and i advise my patients to use them, Moreover i advise my patients to use xylometazoline nasal spray just before flight and just before landing. Lastly i as them to take OTC tab sudafed before flight too. These medicines should not be used by high blood pressure or heart patients. If the medical treatment fails then grommet tubes can be put in the ears and they give immediate relief.

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK WELL I'LL TRY THAT AFRIN AN EXAMPLE OF XYLOMETA??

I have a feeling they did do the typanometry meter at mayo

if they did then what??

====

I noticed on my Mayo releae I had sinus Brachycardia a 47 bpm eng that they did

they didn't say anything to me online it says women under 60 can be dangerous mine is usually in the 52 range but do you think this could be the problem? I'm not a "in shape athlete" by any means I googled it and it said very physically fit athletes have very low numbers...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ps. this is not just while flying this has never gone away since May 13 the pressure is constant

ps. It does go away a little when I excersize

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Yes afrin is one such drug like xylometazoline. Suppose they did tympanometry then this means that nothing is related to ears. There are few patients in whom the tests are ok but the symptoms like yours are always there and specially they aggravate during flights, in such cases anxiolytic drugs really helps. I am not saying that you have anxiety but somehow good results have been seen with these drugs. I know this sounds odd but i am sharing what has helped my patients. Sinus bradycardia can be normal in healthy people also. Mostly yes in athletes but in healthy people one can have it. However the complete cardiac work up like holters monitoring should be done. Low thyroid hormones can cause such low pulse so that be should be checked also. But for sure there is no relation of sinus bradycardia to your ear and pressure symptoms. Effect on exercise to some extent further support the cause to be ear related. My best wishes to you for a good health and safe journey, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

aha woke up this am after 90 days of asking Dr's about my left ear having MRI etc...

mastoiditis lump behind my ear

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
You mean that they have given you a diagnosis of mastoiditis? Have they given you any plan? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I'm BACK

had 3rd MRI of brain with focus on mastoid to find swollen Lymph node size of dime in circum and raised

Rx =Levaquin I'm on 4th pill

I ACTUALLY AM DOWN IN BED AND FEEL WAY WORSE!

TERRIBLE HEADACHE what can I combine with 500mg Levaquin

when do I know if Levaquin is actually making me feel worse -raise bump is down a little tho....this has been left to go for 8 weeks I felt this 8 weeks ago with a raised ANA

has this been let go too long now it's something worse?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you back. When you say worse, what are the symptoms you are experiencing?

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so still pressure in head but reduced

now have headache tho

and loss of appetite can hardly eat enough to take big pill

NO energy at all

would love to take something for headache

is Levaquin best selection of Rx I know it's strong

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Shelly first of all i am really sorry to know about your sufferings and assure you that i am here to help you always. I am going to address your concerns but if you need additional information, please feel free to ask. If you are feeling better after 4th pill, that's really great. Headache should have been better but sometime it takes time. Yes sure you can take over the counter available tab aleve twice daily for pain. It will help you with your low energy also. Yes levaquin is one of the best options for your problem. Continue it and hope for the best, XXXXX XXXXX best wishes and prayers will be with you. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery