Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Any news of Lamictal causing false positives for K2. Started

Customer Question

Any news of Lamictal causing false positives for K2. Started lamictal and tested positive 7 to 10 days later. One week later on restriction in a (rehab) facility. Have not left facility and still testing positive after 8 days. I did not use K2 but positive. I need help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Many compounds can cause a false positive for K2 in a screening test.

Dr. Rick, MD :

That being said you are, in my opinion, fighting a loosing battle by arguing this point with the doctors at your rehab facility as they are in charge and are not going to listen to you on this issue, no matter what evidence you bring to them.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Also, any positive results from a screen exam (that might be from a false positive) is confirmed by mass spec and/or gas chromatography which is very, very accurate and would not be fooled by any contamination by lamictal or its metabolites.

Dr. Rick, MD :

So. What is the take home message? This is not a battle you are going to win. Accept the restrictions place on you and complete your scheduled rehab.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer:

My daughter is in a rehab facility. She has been doing very well. Approx. August 8 she was started on Lamictal. on August 17 she tested positive for K2. She has been isolated now for 7 days. has not been ANYWHERE and is still testing positive. I have read that lamictal can give false positives for K2. Can you give me any information. The consequences are that she can be

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Dr. Rick, MD : Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
Dr. Rick, MD : Many compounds can cause a false positive for K2 in a screening test.
Dr. Rick, MD : That being said you are, in my opinion, fighting a loosing battle by arguing this point with the doctors at your rehab facility as they are in charge and are not going to listen to you on this issue, no matter what evidence you bring to them.
Dr. Rick, MD : Also, any positive results from a screen exam (that might be from a false positive) is confirmed by mass spec and/or gas chromatography which is very, very accurate and would not be fooled by any contamination by lamictal or its metabolites.
Dr. Rick, MD : So. What is the take home message? This is not a battle you are going to win. Accept the restrictions place on you and complete your scheduled rehab.
Dr. Rick, MD : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick, MD : I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Dr. Rick, MD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Were you able to see my post above?

This is not a battle your daughter is going to win with the doctors in her rehab facility....sorry about that.'

All that she can do is make sure that the positive result is confirmed via MS/GC...which I am sure that it was.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No doctors involved. Just monitors (lay people) urine tests only. Nothing further. They will not due bloodwork she has requested. Just want to know can urine test only test positive of K2 after starting Lamictal?????

Wow! Negative feedback. Just for telling you the truth...and you didn't even discuss your issues with me.

Not very nice.

I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.
Even with just lay people involved I do not think in a rehab facility, which makes its rules very clear, that your daughter is going to get anywhere arguing with them.

That being said, lamictal is not known to cause false positives for K2.

If her positive test is not being confirmed by GC/MS, and they refuse to believe her and/or confirm the result via these "gold standards" then you daughter only has two options:

1. Accept their opinion and increased restrictions and hope that all future tests are negative.

2. check out and consult with a doctor who will repeat the urine test and, if positive, confirm that it is in error with GC/MS testing.

I hope you will change your evaluation to positive for me.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answering question.... The complaint I have is that you made a generalized answer without asking questions. You assumed doctors involved and bloodwork was done. The problem is you are proven quilty without the facts and need to find the facts on you own. Unfortunately, I cannot give you high rating, not for information because I do want the truth, but would like to have given you information before you answered question without the facts.

My system, for some reason, showed you were offline.....

In any event, I wish your daughter the very best. My brother had a life long problem with drugs and only made it to 39 years old.

Please give your daughter my very best. She is very lucky to have you there helping her get through this.....