Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I have ecities, fluid, am taking spironolact and furosemida.

I have ecities, fluid, am taking spironolact and furosemida. I don't like the side effects, cramps in hands and legs, tender breasts, loss of appitite. Is there any other pills I can tell my health care provider about?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Both of these are diuretics that are commonly prescribed for Ascites and 3rd space fluid accumulation. Other diuretics you can talk about with your physician are amiloride and triamterene. Other alternatives to Furosemide are torasemide and bumetanide but they are of the same class of diuretics called loop diuretics.
If you have normal renal functions then bumetanide is a good option since a low dose can produce better effects as it is 40 times more potent than furosemide.
All these drugs have side effects and when used for ascites can cause cramps and paraesthesias, tender breasts and loss of appetite. The idea is to adjust the dosage of the drugs as such that they do not produce side effects and still give their benefit.
Another factor that is to be considered is the risk:benefit ratio. If the side effects are tolerable and the use of the above drugs is essential and beneficial than the side effects should be ignored for the time being till a treatment for the underlying pathology causing the ascites is resolved.
An electrolyte panel every week should be done while on diuretics since most of their side effects are due to imabalance in electrolytes especially sodium and potassium. If the sodium and potassium can be balanced by your Doctor then the side effects will be less pronounced.
I suggest that you discuss the drugs I have mentioned with your doctor and if they think that the drugs you are on are beneficial and working effectively in your case then a dose adjustment and equilibrization of electrolytes should be done.

If you are really not satisfied with the drugs then you can look in to other options for resolution of the ascitic fluid like paracentesis.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating if satisfied.
If you have more queries or need more information then please reply back without rating.
Best.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thank you very much. One question is what is renal functions

Thanks for the reply.

Renal functions is a set of tests that include parameters that tell the physician about how the kidney is performing. These are also known as kidney function tests.
The set includes: serum creatinine, serum urea and BUN.
Best.
Dr Uzair, Doctor