Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am on a triple therapy for h pylori. I take Biaxin 500 BID,

I am on a triple therapy for h pylori. I take Biaxin 500 BID, Flagyl 500 BID, and
Prevacid 15 mg BID. I am supposed to take this medicine for 10 days to eradicate the
H pylori. After my treatment is over will I have to stay on the Prevacid for some time?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

yes, after the regimen, you should stay on the Prevacid and follow up with your doctor.

staying on the prevacid will help decrease stomach acid to allow your stomach to heal from the damage from the prior H Pylori infection. but you don't stay on the Prevacid forever.

you should get retested for H Pylori to make sure the bacterial infection is gone. this should be done 3-6 months after your treatment.

you will have to come off of the prevacid 2 weeks before the next H Pylori testing.

talk to your doctors for repeat testing to make sure the H Pylori infection is gone.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the regime I'm taking ok for me because I only weigh 105 lbs? This is the same dosage as a 200 lb person.
yes, the dosage is fine

you can see other regimens here

http://www.globalrph.com/antibiotic/hpylori.htm

yours is the 3rd one down.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am retesting with a stool test. Do I still need to wait 3-6 months before I retest?
it depends on your doctor.

some doctors repeat testing as soon as a few weeks or 1 or 2 months afterwards.

but important to get retested.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much!