Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hello, I have a friend who developed cold symptoms on Thursday;

Hello, I have a friend who developed cold symptoms on Thursday; sore throat and then sniffles, cough, etc... It's now Saturday and he's still sniffling but feeling well enough to play tennis. I really don't want to catch his cold. Should I play? How dangerous would that exposure be?
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.

I will do my best to whatever I can to help to answer your questions & have you the best service here:

The symptoms your friend is having is most likely due to flu. Influenza, commonly known as "the flu," is a highly contagious viral infection of the respiratory tract.

Although he might not be having fever & feeling well enough to play tennis but still he is contagious till all his symptoms gets resolved.

It usually takes one week from the start of symptoms to get it resolved completely. One is contagious for viral flu 1 day before symptoms begin to approximately 5 days after illness onset.

As he is still having the symptoms & its just 2 days from his symptoms,he is still contagious.If you will play now,you may catch the infection & get the viral flu symptoms.

You will be safe to play after tuesday(5 days from when the symptoms first appear).

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why do u think it's not a cold and is the flu?
Dear XXXXX,
Thank you for asking follow up question.I am happy to answer you.

Cold symptoms usually begin with a sore throat, which usually goes away after a day or two. Flu symptoms are usually more severe than cold symptoms and come on quickly.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after clinical diagnosis & description of more symptoms.

The height of the "flu/ cold contagious period is when symptoms are at their worst -- usually around day 2 to day 4 of the flu/cold.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that a person infected with a flu virus/influenza/cold virus may be contagious upto 5 days or till his all the symptoms are cured.

So you will be safe to play only when all his symptoms are resolved.As he is still having the symptoms & its just 2 days from his symptoms,he is still contagious & you may catch the infection if you will be in contact of him.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Hi Chris

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have your friends symptoms get cured?
Is there anything else you want to know?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it helped. I did play tennis on Sunday, and as of now, Tuesday night, i seen to be fine, no sickness. fingers crossed.

chris

Dear Chris,
Good to hear that you have felt better and played tennis.
Yes, you would be better with time.

I wish for your good health.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.