Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Dear,I took Ritalin for a short period of 5 weeks and when

Customer Question

Dear, I took Ritalin for a short period of 5 weeks and when i styopped i started to have muscle twitches+ spasms over my whole body , anxiety (a bit) and pins and needles feeling over my whole body. No we are 2 months far and i still have it. I have a cat and mri scan done of the brain and they did not see anything bad, still they found i had mino epileptic activity in the brain but only minor. the neurologist told me i damage to my discs in my neck causing a nerve/nerves to be trapped/touched and this should cause the symptomes.. He did an MRI or so of my neck and the picture shows it clearly. Buti cannot believe this to cause all those tingeling sensations all over. especially since the neck damage should be there for a long time allready. I do not remember hurting my neck in the past 2 years. So i wonder if this could be from the Ritalin instaid?

The doctors also rulled out MS based on the scans

Regards

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

What dosage were you taking?

Could your doctor see the twitches and spasms on exam?

Do you have any medical problems or take any other medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr,

i was taking 2 x10mg a day, 5 days a weak.

yes the twitches and spasms are visible.

I forgot to say that i also have a tight feeling in my chest and thraot and stress in the stomach it seems to go up and down from throat to stomach and back.

I also wake up every morning with a tremor like feeling in my chest area and sometimes it feels like i have palpitations while i dont have any.

Also i seem to lack balance when i stand/walk.

At this very moment i feel pins and needles in my face, scalp, shins , handsand a small twitch in my left knee and hip.

Thank you for your time.

Michael,

I do not believe that all your symptoms are from your history of Ritalin use. I am glad, however, that MS does not seem to be the cause.

At this point it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you doctor.

I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon in 2 weeks.

They neurologist thinks all of it is caused by a disc in my neck pressing agains my nerve(s) so the want to operate my neck.

Michael,

I am glad that you are getting a second opinion before proceeding with surgery on your neck. It sounds like you are doing the right thing.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

I wish you the very best :)
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Michael,

I was just thinking about you and wondering what the Neurosurgeon had to say on your recent visit.

Does she think that surgery is the way to go?

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Take care.

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr,

No, the Surgeon doubt it will be needed but he order a further scan of the neck. At this time i noticed most of my twitches are going away and make place for anxiety attacks when i npublic. and sometimes i get nerve pains in my fingers ( pain no tingling) and big toe... It seems like i suffer from an anxiety disorder triggered by the ritalin and that my spasms are a reaction form the anxiety... but that is just my idea...

Regards

Michael,

I am glad to hear that you are doing a bit better and that you will not need surgery.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Dr. Rick