Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

should I avoid taking advil and meloxicam at the same time

should I avoid taking advil and meloxicam at the same time?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, you should avoid taking meloxicam and Advil at the same time. Both of these medicines are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and it is better to avoid taking any two NSAIDs at the same time. Generally speaking, once you are taking a therapeutic dose of one NSAID, there is little to be gained by taking a second, but it does increase the risk for stomach side effects, including ulcers.

If taking either NSAID, it would be OK to augment with acetaminophen, as it works by a different mechanism, so may add to the pain relieving action, and will not increase the risk for stomach side effects.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

acetaminophen = tyneol

Yes, acetaminophen is Tylenol, although it is also available in numerous generics.