Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

What is the connection with indigestion and severe backach

What is the connection with indigestion and severe backache?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.
How long have you had these two symptoms?

Have you been examined by a physician?

Do you have any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have experienced these symptoms for several years and have seen local doctors. Most recently, I have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, numerous blood and urine tests. All negative. Yet, I do have these severe pain issues.

Is there any pattern to the pain?

Does anything you do seem to help relieve the pain OR cause the pain to get worse?
(Eating, activity, position, time of day etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pain "simply said" comes on like a Kick in the Gut. Like a horse may kick you un-expectably. The only temporarily relief is to lie in bed in a fetal position. The pain, in my opinion, is gas related. It can last for up to 36 hours unrelieved. The gas gets stuck somewhere and can't move out. Please HELP!

I'm sorry for the delay - I lost my internet connect for a few minutes....

There are few things that come to mind including possibly gallbladder problems, pancreas problems or irritable bowel.

If you have not been evaluated by a gastroenterologist for pancreatic insufficiency and/or gallbladder problems, this may be the next appropriate step in your evaluation.
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had gallbladder and pancreatic scans performed about 18 months ago. Results were negative. Do you think it is necessary to do them again?

I'm sure you can understand that such a decision would involve a much more complete medical history, physical examination and review of your previous test results.

Assuming that these tests were negative (and there has not been a significant change in your symptoms since these tests were done), then repeating these tests may not be necessary. There are a number of tests for both the pancreas and the gallbladder including functional tests. Sometimes even if the scans are negative, you may have decreased release of pancreatic digestive enzymes which can lead to problems including pain, gas etc.
Family Physician, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your responses. I have since had a CT Scan with contrast, followed with additional blood testing. Doctors here in this small beautiful Hill Country town of 60,000 in central Texas are reluctant to give you much info. Doctor seemed alarmed to find an inflammation on the top side of my pancreas, ordered more blood tests ... he stated that the blood tests were not as bad as he anticipated. All I get from this local Gastro specialist is that he needs to refer me to the Gastro Guru in San Antonio. However I can't get into see him for another three weeks. I have been almost pain free for two days now. Mostly on a liquid diet, such as Ensure, Yogurt and bananas, and occasional mini-muffin.. I have spent the majority of my time in bed for the last 3 months. I need a diet plan for this condition which can occur again at anytime.

I'm sorry to hear that the local physicians have not been able to solve your problem. I am however glad to hear that you have been pain free for the last few days.

Without a clear diagnosis, it is of course impossible to give any specific diet advice, however I can give you some general advice based on the possible causes.

You should avoid ALL alcohol and caffeine. Avoiding high fat foods is also a reasonable thing since a high fat diet can aggravate problems with the gallbladder or pancreas.

If your severe pain recurs, you may want to consider going to the emergency room of in San Antonio (at the hospital where the "guru" treats patients) - which may help speed the referral/evaluation process.

I wish I could give you a more helpful or specific answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your advice. Upon the next "attack" I will have someone take me to the emergency room at UT Health Science Center where the "guru" practices. I have some reservations based on two emergency room visits previously for this same condition. One time I was sent home after 7 hours and an abdominal CT test. Gave me drip for dehydration.

I have not eaten fatty foods for years, and consume about two glasses of wine a week. Also had a gallbladder test (HIDA Scan??) 18 months ago.

At least until you have a firm diagnosis - I would avoid ALL alcohol.
Family Physician, Doctor