Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi, I hope you can help me. I just discovered that about an

Hi, I hope you can help me. I just discovered that about an hour ago I gave my husband MY prescription medications instead of HIS. I am his caregiver, he is 81 and has dementia, some atypical parkinsonism, slight hypertension, but really little in the way of "medical problems". I bring his meds to him at bedtime and he just takes them, doesn't really know or remember what they are, although he does remind me to bring them if he thinks I'm forgetting. Anyway, he took 100 mg sertraline, 10 mg simvastatin, 20 mg omeprazole, and 6 mg melatonin. What he was SUPPOSED to take but didn't, is 25-100 mg carbidopa-levodopa (he takes this three times a day), 10 mg donepezil (he takes this once a day), 20 mg lisinopril, and 300 mg gabapentin (for nerve pain from an old spinal cord injury--he takes two of these a day). My inclination is not to worry about it, since he's asleep now, and just resume his regular routine in the a.m. I've forgotten to give him his pills a few times before, by accident, and he never seems to be any worse off, so I'm not worried about that, but I wonder if there is anything in particular I should do about the pills he did take. Please advise, thank you.
Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

At this point, especially since he seems fine, I do not think you need to worry about your husband taking one dose of your medications.

I would, as you mentioned, just give him his regular medication on his normal schedule at this point.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS