Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My 82 year old mother has a recurring infection in the anchor

My 82 year old mother has a recurring infection in the anchor tooth of a 7 tooth bridge. She is on her 3rd antibiotic this year. This has come and gone for 2-3 years. Today she told me the infection has spread from the anchor tooth (molar) to the front of her mouth. We are seeking advise as well as a referral to an excellent "geriatric" dentist in the Palos Hills, IL area. She has recently moved. Does she need a general dentist or a periodontist?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that we have a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Camille

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Do your mother have any medical problems or take any medications?

Is she currently on antibiotics again?

Does she have dry mouth problems?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No medical problems, she is currently on her 3rd antibiotic this year, she does not have dry mouth problems. She takes eye drops for pressure.
At this point, since her general dentists have not been able to take care of this infection I think she should see a periodontist.

My Uncle is a periodontist but he is about 1,500 miles away from your mom :(

Here is an excellent Periodontist near your Mom:

Geraldine A Difranco, DDS
10059 S Roberts Rd
Palos Hills, IL 60465 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since she will likely need to have the infected tooth removed and it is an anchor tooth, what do you recommend for her teeth in the future? Full denture, 8-9 tooth bridge (if this is even possible) a partial, or implants??? What options are you aware of, what seems best to you?

I believe implants are the most natural, longest lasting and best way for her to go....but it is also the most expensive.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me

I hope she feels better soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any concern for implants in an 82 year old with a history of infections?
Yes, of course.

Another option would be to pull all her teeth and give her full dentures.

As you can see there are many options, each of which is best chosen by her treating dentist based on his evaluation of her.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me:)

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC