Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

What is epiploic appendicitis and how is it treated?

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Are you referring to Epiploic AppendiCITIS or Epiploic AppendaGITIS?

Because Appendicitis is a seperate condition which simply means inflammation of appendix (epiploic appendicitis is not a medical entity).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

eepiploic appendigitis

Thank you very much for clarification Terry.

First of all let me explain what actually are epiploic appendages.

These are small pouchings (lined with membrane and filled with fat) originating from the external surface of colon and they are present through out the length of colon.

There are about 50 to 100 such appendages present in an average person; and vary in size.

These actually act as a cushion for the colon and also have some role in protecting the person against infections in the abdomen (tummy).

Epiploic Appendagitis is a benign and self limiting condition due to torsion and impairment in flow of blood from these appendages.

This is in general treated with pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs, and as i mentioned earlier, the prognosis for this condition is excellent (since it is self limiting problem).

The condition improves with in a week or two; mostly the patients become pain free after 7 days.

However, if after 2 weeks the pain does not settle, or if the pain become severe or intolerable any time, or if you develop fever, recurrent vomiting or other severe symptoms, it is always adviced to have a re-evaluation done in order to make sure that there is no other problem going on inside the abdomen.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Terry was diagnones last Wednesday, continues with the pain and anti nausea meds, but the pain continues. Hope it goes away in a week or two. . .

Hopefully yes.

As i mentioned that the usual time taken is from 1 week to 14 days.

But at the same time i have explained some serious symptoms which if he develops should direct him to ER for an urgent re-evaluation.

Goodluck :)

Kindest Regards.

Hello Terry.
I hope you are fine.
Is there anything else i can help you with?
I will be glad to assist.