Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

I have a large cancer sore inside my mouth at my lower gumline

Customer Question

I have a large cancer sore inside my mouth at my lower gumline that feels sore and bothersome. I've had it about 3 days now and its holding firm. Can you please tell me how to treat it so that it goes away quicker? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Does it appear as a round white spot with a red border?
Is it irregular in shape?
Do you have severe pain on the site?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, it appears as a round white spot with a red border.

It has a mostly roundish-oval shape.

the pain is not severe but I am talking less as it hurts more when it rubs against my teeth and inner mouth area while I am talking.

No medical conditions. I am taking Vimovo for back pain, ambian as needed and phentermine for weight loss.

Please advise.

Dear XXXXX, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.

In medical terms Canker sores, are called Aphthous ulcers.
These are small, shallow lesions that develop on the soft tissues in your mouth or at the base of gums. Large ones are less common, may take weeks to heal, and can leave scars.
Many people get them regularly, at least once a year.

The exact cause of this condition is still not known.
Canker sores may cause a lot of pain which lasts between 4 and 10 days. The pain is worsened by hot or spicy foods that touch the sore. If you have recurrent canker sores, then your doctor may test for other health problems (e.g., low levels of folic acid or vitamin B12 in the blood).

Usually, they heal by themselves in maximum 14 days without any treatment.
You should avoid hot and spicy foods , it also helps to minimize pain.
You can use Viscous lidocaine, this is an anesthetic that can be applied to the sore or used to rinse the mouth to numb the pain. You can apply the paste to the sore two to four times a day until it heals.

Use of Benzydamine mouthwash can provide temporary relief from the pain of canker sores.
You can use, Carboxymethylcellulose, it is a protective coating that can also be put on the sore to relieve pain
Your doctor may prescribe oral steroid medications, if severe canker sores don't respond to other treatments.
Please follow above measures, and most likely you would be free from symptoms in one week.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the information. Do you know of any holistic and/or home remedies to speed healing? Please advise.

Melissa, Thanks for asking follow up question.
I am happy to answer you further.

You can make a paste of baking soda by adding little amount of water and apply it to the affected area. You can left it for 15-20 minutes, After this, you can wash it with water.

You can also use Cayenne pepper , it has capsaicin which can temporarily numb the nerves causing the pain and so it can give you quick relief from the pain.

You can also use Plum Juice, it can be used as a mouthwash.
Take a small amount of the juice in the mouth and rinse your mouth thoroughly with it for several minutes.You can follow this remedy three to four times a day.

Cold Yogurt is also very helpful. You can take it twice a day. Living bacteria in yogurt, are known to treat such infection.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Your service was excellent. I appreciate your knowledge especially on the holistic treatments. I will try some of them. Last question is the canker sore caused by a yeast-type infection? Interesting.

Melissa, Thanks for appreciating my work.

Researchers believe, that overreaction to the Streptococcus bacteria, is the cause for canker sore.
It is not a yeast type infection. The cause of canker sores is not entirely clear.
People with canker sores often have small injuries from dental injections and toothbrushes in the lining of the mouth. Allergies also may be associated with an increased risk for canker sores.

Canker sores, may also be brought on by stress.
Other possible causes include lack of cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), folic acid, or iron. Certain foods may be triggers for canker sores or act as nutrients for the Streptococcus bacteria.

Anyone can develop a canker sore. Women are more likely to get them than men.

I hope this helps.