Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

Hi, Ive had 5 days of upset tummy. First and second days,

Customer Question

Hi, I've had 5 days of upset tummy. First and second days, watery diarrhea, esp on day 2 - all water. No fever, nausea, or vomiting. I've also been fatigued and felt weak, which is improving. Beginning on day 3, the diarrhea got much less frequent (like 2-3x/day) and occasionally has some actual blobs to it instead of just water. Usually, I can eat something for breakfast (toast, yogurt) and be stable, but the rest of the day, when I eat or drink water, my tummy starts gurgling and doesn't feel good. Should I just be patient and give it a few more days?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.

Are you passing urine with normal frequency? Any change in urine color?
Are you accepting fluids?
Are you dizzy?
Fever?
Blood mixed with stool?
Do you have severe abdomen cramps?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I am currently urinating pretty normally (just not drinking quite as much as usual) and I don't notice abnormalities in urine color.

I am drinking only water or juice (no tea, which I usually drink otherwise). My tummy gurgles after drinking but I am staying hydrated.

I seem to accept food or liquids more easily in the am - perhaps after my tummy has had a rest overnight?

No fever.

No blood in stool that I have noticed - esp past few days.

No severe abdominal cramps.

Not dizzy. 2nd/3rd days weak and somewhat lightheaded - that is improving.

Dear Carroll, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.

Your symptoms are suggestive of Viral stomach flu. Usually such symptoms are viral and self limiting in nature.
As per your description, viral flu symptoms are getting resolve slowly, No need to get panic, it may take further 2-3 days.

You can take Imodium to reduce the frequency of bowel movements, it would also reduce gurgling sensation.
It can be taken maximum up to 4 times as per the requirement.
You should Tab.Acetaminophen to get relief from stomach ache( if you have).

You should eat something containing salt, such as crisps or soup.
You should maintain good standards of hygiene .
You can take Ready-mixed rehydration sachets (eg Dioralyte, Rehidrat). You should Keep yourself hydrated, and maintain fluid levels.
It may take few more days, for bowel movements to become normal.

It is most likely of viral origin and you need to follow wait and watch approach for next 2-3 days. Most likely you would be free from symptoms in few days.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you - just one more thing - is feeling a bit better/more stable if I haven't had food in a while also generally consistent with a viral diagnosis? I think I am feeling somewhat better, then if I take my dog for a walk or eat something, I realize I am not as much improved as I might have thought.

Carroll, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Good to hear that you are feeling better.
Yes, i am pretty sure, that in next 2-3 days, you would be free from symptoms.
Yes, you can take your dog for a walk, it would be good move.
It is most likely of viral origin and you need to follow wait and watch approach for next 2-3 days.

Please keep yourself hydrated, and take eat something containing salt, such as crisps or soup or toast.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much. I thought it might be viral with the way I felt, but I wasn't clear and didn't know if there is urgency in something that could be bacterial. I'm unsure what rehydration sachets like dioralyte are, but I will investigate. I'm glad to know it is most likely viral and will resolve on its own. Thank you for your help.

Dear Carroll,

Dioralyte sachet contain rehydration salts consisting of sugars and salts (glucose, sodium chloride, potassium chloride and disodium hydrogen citrate).
It is used to used to replace body fluids and electrolytes lost as a result of acute diarrhea.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.

Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert