Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I recently was on a flight and have been unable to unclog my

I recently was on a flight and have been unable to unclog my ears since then. It is over a week. After the first leg of the flight it took 3 days to clear and now, after the return, my ears have been clogged for over a week. I have difficulty hearing and it is uncomfortable and slightly sore, although I would not call it painful.
Is there anything I can or should do or anyone I should be seeing? I am a 60 year old female.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Have you taken any medication so far?
Do you have any known medical illness?
Were you having cold or sinus infection before flying?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I take bystolic for high blood pressure and synthroid. I did not have a cold before, during or after the trip. I had had a root canal the week before the trip and had just finished a dose of penicillin for that procedure. Other than that no health issues.

Dear Maureen
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

You are having clogged ear/plugged ear from last one week.

Due to obstruction of eustachian tube(a connection between middle ear & back of nose),the pressure between middle & inner ear gets imbalanced and causes various symptoms like clogging/plugging of ears,difficulty in hearing,mild soreness & discomfort.

The symptoms usually last from few hours to few days but sometimes it can take upto several weeks.

Following will help you greatly:

-You need to swallow more often when you chew gum.Swallowing activates the muscle that opens the Eustachian tube.

-Another way is:Pinch your nostrils shut.Then take a mouthful of air.Now force the air into the back of your nose as if you were trying to blow your thumb and fingers off your nostrils.This will unplug your ears.

-Oral decongestants,nasal sparays,topical nasal steroids & anti histaminic medications may be required. Afrin is a brand of nasal spray used to ease nasal congestion that is available over-the-counter.The generic name for this medication is Oxymetazoline hydrochloride.

-Take anti histamine tab.Benadryl once a day.It is also available as over the counter(OTC) without prescription.

If still your ears fail to open/unclog then you need to consult your doctor for examination & hence the prescription medications accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

Hello

Do not wait and try home treatment.This has been a week; and symptoms in adults do not correlate well with infection, which can be dangerous.

Have the ear examined today, do not try and home treatment or pressure maneuvers as you can do more harm than good.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Please don’t forget a positive rating.

Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I see my general practitioner or should I consult an ENT?

Dear Maureen,
First you need to consult your GP for examination & accordingly then you will be referred for ENT doctor(if required).

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor