Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

The silver tip broke off our oral thermometer. The mercury

The silver tip broke off our oral thermometer. The mercury appears to me to still be in the glass part and it looks as tho the end of that glass part is still sealed. My husband is saying the mercury leaked out. Is it possible for the silver tip to snap off and the mercury stays in the tube.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

If the silver tip broke off, then the mercury has probably leaked. The silver tip holds th main mass of the mercury and the glass tube only a very slim thread of mercury. It is unlikely that the mercury will still remain after the silver tip has broken off.

Mercury is very toxic and needs careful disposal. Use a sheet of paper or cardboard to scoop up glass and metal pieces. Deposit the breakage into a glass jar with a lid or a sealable plastic bag. Use sticky tape to pick up the smaller pieces of debris. Drop the used tape into the jar or bag. You can also use ziploc pouches.

I hope this helps.