911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

How much time should pass between getting clean from a meth

How much time should pass between getting clean from a meth addiction and surgery on my throat. The surgery is 6 weeks away

911DOC :

The question doesn't have so much to do with meth....

911DOC :

You need to be clean from meth for at least a few weeks before the surgery

911DOC :

the methamphetamine only lasts a few days in your system

911DOC :

but the more important question is can you stay off it after the surgery

911DOC :

as you know meth stresses most of the body's major organ's including the heart

911DOC :

and the anesthesiologist needs to know that you have put this habit behind you

911DOC :

also, the surgeon needs to have confidence that after the surgery you will not be going back to using as it could complicate recovery and give a poor surgical result

911DOC :

so if you have not stopped using, today is when you should get clean

911DOC :

and you should never start again.

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

911Doc:

Thank you very much for you're answer. I am going to conquer this addiction, and now is the time. My further question is does the anesthesiologist or the surgeon actually have to know about my addiction. That is of course if I do stop and don't start after surgery?

that's up to you. it would be important so they can make sure their medicines will work to properly sedate you AND would be important for them to take a closer look at your heart prior to surgery. The information you give them is protected by federal law (HIPAA) and is confidential. Much better to tell them that you PREVIOUSLY had a meth addiction. Best of luck to you with all.

911doc